1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have independent collision shops been able to match Blizzard Pearl?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by davide, Jun 30, 2012.

1. davide

davide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm actually planning to buy not a Liftback/Gen III but a Prius c in either Super White or the somewhat flashier white called Moonglow. I have doubts about my local collision shop's (my family has used them for decades) ability to truly match the Moonglow, if I were to get into a fender-bender. So I'd like to hear from liftback/Gen III Blizzard Pearl owners whose cars have been repainted by non-dealer collision shops: Did they match the Blizzard Pearl so that you're satisfied? :cautious:

2. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not direct to your question, but a Toyota body shop repaired my rear bumper and The new paint is perfect.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota doesn't make paint and anyone can buy it. If the color is difficult to match than every shop is in the same situation. If the guy in the shop is good you won't be able to tell the difference. FWIW, the bumpers of white cars don't always match the body so the factory doesn't get it perfect 100% of the time.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My local body shop told me that the Blizzard Pearl is more expensive to repair.

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This paint has been around for years --- don't worry about it

6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My brother in law owns a bodyshop- he said Blizzard Pearl is a 3-step process paintjob.
    In some cases you may have to simply paint a whole panel rather then spot painting.

Don't let that stop you from choosing that color- it's awesome... :cool:

7. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I picked it because I wanted a white car to combat the heat here. But I rather like the pearl sheen it shows in certain lights. 3 step paint? Is that why this is an "extra cost paint option" from Toyota?

JeffHastings likes this.
  8. davide

davide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think JimN meant: Toyota does make paint and anyone can buy it. I'll be buying a Prius c, and preferring the no-extra-charge Moonglow (based on what I've read on the Prius c main forum) over Super White, so my thought was: if Blizzard Pearl (available on the larger GenIII Liftback) has been hard to match, then probably Moonglow would be, too. (P.S. I have not talked to my independent body-shop owner yet.)

9. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did a search of Blizzard Pearl threads, and some people had problems with just touch-up, and with some body shops not able to match the paint after an incident. One person also mentioned that on a new car the bumpers didn't match the body with the Blizzard Pearl. It is a three step process. I guess it would be OK if you happened to get an experienced shop.
    For me, I wouldn't consider the premium paint on a new 2012, but it does look good.

10. Lordkifar

Lordkifar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why is difficult to match the blizzard pearl? Is it the way the paint has been applied to the car in the factory or the color? I would assume that of it is the latter, using the correct color code should solve the problem....but again I know little about body work.

11. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, that's the reason, and also the reason for the up charge in my repair.

12. ashrat

ashrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the rear bumper cover replaced on my 2011 Blizzard Pearl Car and it looks like a very good match (repair was done at an independent body shop). Would the bumper cover come pre-painted from Toyota?

13. Lordkifar

Lordkifar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doubt that the bumper would have come pre-painted from Toyota...would probably have cost a lot to do so.

14. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OT: I just saw in another thread that you lost a hub cap. You already have bumper damage on your 2 week old car too?

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Supposedly it's: primer coat + base color coat + pearl coat + clear coat.
    So even parts like a mirror or bumper, rocker panel, etc take more steps (and the shop has to purchase the pearl coat in addition to the primary color) to complete. More steps = more billable labor time.

16. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sigh, yeah. The hub cap was Toyota's fault. The bumper, I backed into the car cross the street. Only two month's old (not two weeks, the hubcap was in the 2nd week.)

17. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the Barcelona Red and after I bought the car used, I found out that the dealer had repainted the front bumper. In certain light, the bumper was a different color than the rest of the car. About six weeks ago, I hit a possum and broke the bottom of the bumper, cost my deductable to get it replaced. The new fresh painted bumper looked really good and matched the rest of the car. All was well for a couple of weeks and then the bumper is a different color when out of the sun. I suppose as the paint cured, it changed color slightly. Two other vehicles and different body shops have had the same results with inability to match paint, maybe I'm just too picky.

18. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same reason I picked it and I'm in the Northeast, not as hot but warm enough in summer. Wish I'd gotten the Bisque interior instead of dark grey but my salesperson screwed up and I was in a situation where I had to get a car quickly. The grey seats are nice in winter, though. don't need heated seats. Aside from that, do love that pearl sheen exterior!

19. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Did not mean to rub it in. It happens. When my 2002 Camry was 1 month old, I backed it into a parked car across the street, when I was dropping my friend off at his house. It was my first car with a spoiler. The front of the other car was below it and I was only watching the mirror on the windshield so I missed it completly.

My insurance paid for the other car. In my case I elected to ignore it for 1 year, then bought some touch up paint and fixed it myself. It was easy to hide imperfections on a white car.

20. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not to worry, my grown kids and son-in-law had a field day asking me how my backup camera was working out. Sorta funny if it didn't hurt so much.