1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have PiP, just bought a Ford Fusion Energi...

Discussion in 'Ford/Lincoln Hybrids and EVs' started by DadofHedgehog, May 30, 2013.

1. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello, I'm just his son who is driving the Ford Fusion Energi, got to tell you, my dad is right, I do have a thing for pedal to the metal, but i still get no less than 47.5 MP/Ge on the streets and HWY, and tell you what, I Fucusing loving it, It's fully loaded, Self parking, and besides that, it's a plug in, I get to work, and back and spend no gas on it, except I travel a lot because I like to get away sometimes, and it's a perfect car for that because even then I spent less on gas...
    If you get a Ford Fusion Energi, the one like mine, I just have to let you know, this car drive itself, you aint got to do shnauzer.... Just chill da Fucusion down in your chair, and enjoy the ride, it stays in lane, and cruise control, and when I let go of Steering wheel, and didn't touch when it was about to go off the lane, my dad panicked, but the car turned back slowly on it's own, back in lane, my dad was surprised. Well, I'm 100% in love wit this car, and will drive it to the ground, it's very comfortable on the road like Mercedes, and the look of it so fancy like Aston Martin, I think I am in love...
    Well, when I got back behind a wheel of a Prius, I got really frustrated, and mad, so I told my dad to take his car back and give mine back, because it is so much more comfortable and easy to use.... I am begging my dad to trade in his Prius for Fusion, so he wont bug me with mine....lol
    In the end I spent a lot of time behind a wheel of a Prius, and I loved that car, don;t get me wrong, there were many times this car made an impression on me, and I loved it, but time is moving forward, and things are improving, and I personally like the Fusion now even better, thank you for reading, and everyone has their own opinion, I have mine....
    hedgehog

JMD likes this.
  2. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ...The Hedgehog has spoken.

Rainking likes this.
  3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A Fusion hybrid is rated 47 MPG.

Fusion Energi takes 7.1 kWh per charge. If you are getting 47.5 MPG with the plugin version, that electricity isn't doing a good job boosting the MPG or the gas engine is burdened by the battery or a mix of both.

With my PiP and how I drive it, both fuels complement each other. I don't get frustrated driving it either. In fact the opposite with peace of mind. Averaging 132 MPGe on electric miles and 55 MPG on gas miles.

MPGe is the number of miles you can drive with 33.7 kWh of electricity.

rogerv likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Energi is rated 44city/41hwy/43combined. It has a different final ratio than the hybrid.

Without knowing the the EV:gas mix it is hard to draw conclusions on how well it is working, but this is also the number from an admitted "pedal to the metal" driver.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Absolutely, one PiPs owner getting only 101 MPGe on electricity and 39 MPG on gas. Another owner got 173 MPGe on electricity and 59 MPG on gas. Top 10 list here. Different driver, commute and charging pattern makes a huge difference.

The question I had was (still unanswered), is the MPG that Energi reports boosted with electricity? I think the answer is yes.

In the example of the 101 MPGe / 39 MPG PiP, the car would show 188 MPG because most of the miles (78%) were on EV.

2,374 miles on EV + 644 on gas = 3,018 miles total
    It used 16 gallons, so 3,018 miles / 16 gallons = 188 MPG

Note, this completely ignores the electricity consumption so the number is boosted with electricity.

Is 47.5 MPG the hedgehog reported boosted with electricity? If it is then, it is very low. Perhaps he didn't get much charge so it had low EV ratio.

Post #31 reported, 964 total miles with 539 EV miles. That would make it 56% EV ratio. The car reported 55.6 MPG (boosted).

If PiP gets 50 MPG on gas miles and driven with 56% EV ratio, it would report 113.4 MPG (boosted).

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From the manual:
    "Average Fuel Economy: Average fuel economy is continuously averaged since the last reset. You can reset your average fuel economy by pressing and holding the OK button on the left hand steering wheel controls. For Energi vehicles both Hybrid and Plug-in Power mode operation will be included in the calculation."
    So, yes.

My Vehicle Owners Guides & Manuals

Regardless of what the reported number means, a young, admitted lead foot, driver is going to get high fuel consumption no matter the car.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wonder what he'll get driving the PiP. That'll be INTERESTING!

8. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hedgehog gets around mid-50 MPG when he gets his meathooks on the PiP, which is becoming rare now.

I note that the Fusion Energi displays its energy use breakouts differently than the PiP does. Its power-choice switches are also different: it has an "EV only" switch, an "EV Auto-assist" switch and an "EV hold" (for later) switch.

Since we have two L2 chargers (one Leviton and one 240V receptacle for use with the EvseUpgrade), and since the Fusion really does hold about 22 - 24 miles for urban/suburban driving, the Fusion rarely runs out of EV juice before it gets charged again, often multiple times/day. This certainly affects its MPGe compared to the PiP, which runs out of EV juice every day somewhere during its daily runs. On interstate freeway trips (to NYC, to Massachusetts, to Maryland's Eastern Shore), the Son tells me he gets around 44 MPG readouts in the Fusion. Of course, since there are all these fancy cool display buttons to play with, the Hedgehog resets them all the time so I can't quite verify...

We plan on a road trip to Wisconsin & points West this August in the Fusion, and I'll come back with lots of data.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^take both PHEV cars as a comparison contribution to the online community:whistle:

10. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congrats on the Ford EV

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That really put a perspective on his driving style.

A full charge is all it takes for him to get (or exceed) the EPA MPG of the non-plugin model. However, a full charge takes 3.2 kWh of electricity for PiP and 7.1 kWh for Fusion Energi. PiP uses less energy but Fusion Energi is a faster more powerful car.

DadofHedgehog and JMD like this.
  12. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If we were to take both cars, we'd be arguing about which car the parrot'll go in (I'm NOT making this up - Loki the Brazilian Green Cheek Conure Parrot drove with us to Mississippi last March, and he's coming along on this trip too).

We're taking the Ford "Fucusion". It feels good to stretch these old bones on that comfy plush seat ;)

rogerv likes this.
  13. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does he constantly ask, "Are we there yet?" :LOL:

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Riddle me this DoH, do you think the Ford can keep a house powered via inverter as reliably as a PiP or Prius?

15. eliotb

eliotb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dad of Hedgehog: I've just finished reading the saga of the first couple of months of Fusion ownership. I looked very seriously at the Fusion titanium hybrid while looking for a car in June but passed on it for the very trunk volume, arrangement issues you cited and went instead with a Prius 5 tarted up with all the bells and whistles. In my case, the car you see in my avatar or whatever it is called is my road car and the Prius is my work commuter -- Annandale to Rockville. I tried to buy in Maryland for the same reasons you cited but ultimately did the deal over at Bill Page as they were able to track down the car I wanted, ironically at a dealer in Rockville who'd been hiding it off the internet listings. I think the Fusion, because of its weight in either the hybrid or plug-in version would make a great road car. I liked the quietness of the cabin in particular. But for me space configuration won out. I'll check in from time to time to see how your ownership unfolds, and thanks for sharing with us.

Eliot

16. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great question - and of course I have no idea since they are really different cars as far as their mechanical details go. Not much blogosphere info yet out there on the Fusion Energi compared with PriusChat's accumulated wisdom (I render chapeaux bas here to the PriusChat family).

Of course, as plug-ins diversify and spread out across the land, this really becomes a discussion of "How to adapt a plug-in car to alternative uses during emergencies" rather than "How to adapt a Prius to alternative uses etc..." and thus stands to become a much broader general discussion topic, as the Fall hurricane season again approaches. If I had just 10 more hours per week (hah!), I'd be tempted to start a web page.

17. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Eliot, congrats on a great car. Can't really go wrong with a Prius, no matter what the Hedgehog now claims ;)

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why wouldn't it? People have used inverters hooked up to non-hybrid vehicles for emergency power, and may have used less gas than if using a portable generator. The hybrids' advantage is the huge battery allowing them to power an entire house, instead of just the essential appliances.

Using a Power Inverter for Emergency Home Backup - DonRowe.com

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just curious to know if other Hybrid/PHEV work as well as Prius, as far as computer logic just running the ICE when needed to beef up the hybrid batt when it runs low.

20. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update: Ford Fusion Energi behavior on the Great American Road Trip:

Overall = this is a well designed, comfortable, powerful car.

ODO: we started the trip with odometer at 4200 miles. Now, in Cody Wyoming, the odometer stands at 6700 miles. We'll be close to 10k on our return to Northern Virginia by late August.

MPGe: as we started, the mostly city/suburban life of the Fusion resulted in an MPGe of 47.9. At the house, the Fusion (and the Prius) get charged daily, sometimes more often. Now, 2500 miles later on the open road, the MPGe stands at exactly 43.0. Charging during the trip: three times - one incomplete charge during a dealer's 5K oil change & tire rotation, one complete charge this morning at our 1950's style motor hotel in Wyoming (hence no effect yet on MPGe as it's still morning here) and one 80% stealth charge yesterday coming down the Powder River Mountain range on US 16 between Buffalo and Cody. However, pls remember the much higher altitudes here in the West - we've been between 3000 feet and 5000 feet for the last few days, and that impacts all gas mileage no matter what the car.

Pros: OMG is this car comfortable on the open road! It's fast, it's maneuverable, its suspension is well-tuned. The passenger seat is not quite as long-term comfortable as the driver's seat (lacks built-in lumbar support), which means that the driver's seat is just about perfect.

Cons: although the MyFord GPS map display is very nice and graphically advanced, the GPS system itself SUCKS compared to Toyota's: it's verrrrry slow to load after a car start, it sometimes just loses its planned route, and it often mis-routes the chosen route in a random fashion. I say: give me Ford display graphics + Toyota GPS logic.

Charging: the Ford EVSe has a better design than Tyota's EVSE, as its "brick" is also a winding loop for the cords. Unfortunately, the Ford EVSE handle lacks a locking hole for a lock.

Stealth charging: the western downslope yesterday on US 16 in Wyoming had a continuous descent of about 30 miles. By the end, our traction battery, long depleted, regained 22 EV miles out of a total 25 possible. Nice!

Trunk space: we each packed one mid-size duffle bag, one Thermarest pad, one sleeping bag, one laptop+ backpack, and a Playskool food/beverage cooler, and one suit (friends' wedding enroute), plus coats etc. We gained a few giftie / memory goodies along the way during the trip, for the house and for friends. This all fits in the trunk, on the trunk shelf above the traction battery, and in the left rear seat - hence, one seat is still open. For two people, the cargo space works well on a long trip. For three, it could work but it'd be tight. For four, the cargo space for a cross-country trip is inadequate.

Hope this is helpful.

rogerv and ftl like this.