1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have you ever been to a public protest?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bredekamp, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been to and/or organized probably over a hundred protests and demonstrations, including protests against US actions in Vietnam, Chile, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Iraq and Iran; protests against government cutbacks in health care and other services; protests against Reagan's union busting of PATCO (the union of US air traffic controllers); protests against Iran's arrest and imprisonment of certain journalists and academics; protests against hate crime murders and police brutality; and demonstrations in support of teachers denied tenure, affordable housing, unions, divestment in South Africa and nuclear disarmament.

1 person likes this.
  2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1976 protested the destruction of a residential hotel in SF.
    Protested against Newt Gingrichs contract on America.
    Dozens of Iraq war protests.

I just looked this up for the political forum thread.
    The Guinness World Book of Records has the largest protest at 3 million people.
    Anyone recall it?

3. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was at one last month for the first time. It was very calm, Civil, And informational.

I'll be attending more of them as we go through the summer.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is a reasonably safe activity to engage in if you live in the United States or Canada. Try that stunt in Iran, you will die

5. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I was in NYC for the 2/15/03 march.

No, it didn't change anything. But it does serve as a powerful counter-example to the lie that "everybody" thought Iraq had weapons. What a crock of revisionist history.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But probably not soon enough.

Tom

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    True, they like to make the entire croaking process last as long as possible. Wouldn't be surprised if countries like North Korea and Iran undead you, then croak you again

8. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope that we will be able to exercise free speech and public protest in the future. I have heard that one part of the recent health care bill provides for a private army for Obama. I have seen video of him making a speech that our military is not sufficient, we must have a civilian military. If this is true it sounds pretty creepy. Google "Obama's private army"

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like on Stargate SG-1? So like the North Koreans are space aliens who built the Egyptian pyramids as landing pads for their mother-ships? Where's McGuyver when you need him? I have a rubber band and a paper clip.

10. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Please reread what you wrote and consider if it sounds reasonable in any way.

11. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he was being sarcastic.

12. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't be so sure.

Obama’s “Private Army” | FactCheck.org

:tinfoil3::tinfoil3::tinfoil3::tinfoil3::tinfoil3::tinfoil3::tinfoil3::tinfoil3::tinfoil3::tinfoil3:

13. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The multi million dollar homes in Newport Beach tried to get El Toro Marine Base (which had been permanently shut down a year earlier) converted to an international airport ... never mind Long Beach, Ontario, LAX, and San Diego airports near by. It was all about having a nice quiet afternoon on the 44 foot sloop ... no jet noise from John Wayne airport take off's while one grills the halibut.

With El Toro converted, John Wayne airport would have to be shut down, because the 2 are too close for commercial traffic. Thus, WE would get jet noise & dirty exhaust, instead of Newport folks. Our protests turned the tide, and now those hundreds of El Toro acres are being turned into a big ol park. woot! one for the green team! Screw Newport!

:p

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I was at a small junior college in the early 70's, we pitched a tent in front of the main admin building to protest the sewer that had backed up in the bathtub in the ex-president's house where 13 of us guys were now staying.

The President came out and told us that he would go to the house with the Maintenance manager and take a look. If we would take down our protest tent he promised if they could not fix the problem that he would have the maintenance men over first thing Monday morning. He even rolled up his shirt sleeve and stuck his hand in the "crap" in the bathtub to see if he could help.

Boy was he pissed when he found out on Monday that the reason the sewer was backed up was because we had filled the vent pipes with beer cans while sitting on the roof watching the tennis matches next door !!

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A long time ago, back in N.D., I had a friend who worked in a women's health clinic. There were anti-abortion protesters outside frequently. So one day I went there and joined the anti-abortion protesters with a sign that said "WAR KILLS MORE UNBORN BABIES." Nobody actually reads protest signs, because the protesters welcomed me. They were aware of my anti-nuclear protests, so when they saw me coming, with my sign clearly visible, they were very pleased. I was standing with them for 10 or 15 minutes before one of them actually read my sign, and said, "You mean you're not WITH us???"

It was rather funny. However, my friend asked me not to do it again, feeling that any protest presence at the clinic was harmful, even if it was a counter-protest. So it was a one-time thing.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Um ... no. You can kill somebody, then intubate an defibrillate them, get them going again, kill them, over and over until you finally kill them permanently

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I opposed (and still do) all violence, and that included all war and all weapons. Under the rubric of "Think globally, act locally" I protested the weapons in my back yard, which were the Minuteman III missiles of which North Dakota had 300 at the time. (Half of those have since been moved to another state.)

I was occasionally criticized by people who never protested anything, and who felt I should be protesting something other than what I was. I was never criticized by people who were protesting those other things. Anti-war activists recognize that there are many faces to war, and nobody can address them all. In particular, it seems shallow and insincere to protest other countries' weapons if you are not protesting your own country's weapons; and anti-war protesters generally regard the anti-war protesters in other countries as allies. The anti-war protesters in the former U.S.S.R., AFAIK, were glad that American anti-war protesters were doing what we were.

I live where I live, and I protest where I live.

So, no, I did not go to Russia to protest those nuclear waste sites.

20. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You betcha; I've protested inflated reports about Prius safety concerns by the media as they substitute sensational video clips and sound bytes in place of responsible investigative journalism.