1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have you heard about the new CAFE ruling?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Ayerscreek, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Ayerscreek

Ayerscreek New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I heard a blurb on TV yesterday about the compromise reached to increase the Coporate Average Fuel Economy to 54.5 by 2025, doubling it over the next 13 years. Our local paper had a 1/2 column article on page 5 yesterday. There wasn't much about it when I did a Google search either, but here is a link to the NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/business/energy-environment/obama-unveils-tighter-fuel-efficiency-standards.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

All is political these days, but it seems like it should be bigger news than it is. Have you heard about it in your area? It'll be interesting to see how these guidelines will be received. 54.5 doesn't seem like much to Prius owners but it does seem to be a step in the right direction and if the political winds don't change too much may indeed be a giant step toward developing more electric vehicles.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen various news stories about it online. I don't recall of the local TV news media mentioned it.

It isn't that much to Prius owners given that the Gen 3 Prius already gets over "70 mpg" for CAFE purposes.

See Just a little more than 12 years PC will not meet the MPG requirements | PriusChat. From FAQ: New Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards - Edmunds.com
    I wish that NYT story elaborated on that.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the reason it's not big news is because at the last minute cafe will simply rewrite the rules to a more mild standard - just like they have historically done for decades. So the media simply doesn't want to waste its own time.

SGH-I717R ? 2

4. gbrown

gbrown New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but doesnt cafe 54.x miles mean realistic mid 30 'window sticker' type of mileage? something to do with the testing methods used.???

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, CAFE uses the EPA estimates from the 70s, not the current EPA estimates, so 54 = 36 approximately.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, see links in post #2.

7. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

And then the electric companies will take over the gas stations' job and gouge our wallets with outrageous electric bills!!! :eek:

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I suppose I should sit down and read the ruling, but I share Hill's cynicism that future politics (yes you, republican party) will kill the bill before it sees the light of day. A rule that required frequent baby steps would have been much more believable; as it is, I expect Detroit to do nothing and then have a tantrum in 12 years that the demands are beyond it's ability blah blah blah.

Still, anybody know how the 54.5 number applies to large and heavy cars ? Is 54.5 a *fleet* number ? How much will it cost manufacturers to ignore the requirement it it actually sees the light of day ?

9. Since I got 25-35 mpg on my Beatle in 1966, I dont think the ICE machines are making much progress , 46 years of stagnation.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yet another article that fails to point out the difference between the CAFE and Monroney sticker numbers: White House Sets Final Fuel Economy Standards Through 2025 - MSN Autos.

As usual, there are a lot of naysayers and myopic people... like this guy in the comments:
    :rolleyes:

11. He is entitled to his opinion, and also entitled to spend more in gasoline. I have some oil stocks so I can use his support.

12. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, that is the case. The businessman running has made that promise to a bunch of oil men in Dallas, dill baby drill, subsidy is safe to them and will eliminate such credits to green energy.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius