1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have you removed your driver's side floor mat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Oct 1, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, safety first

9 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. No

186 vote(s)
    88.6%
  3. Not yet, but I will

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. No, but I removed an alternate mat

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Other/checking results/see below.

8 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny changed the forum logins around, what a year or more ago. I was having blonde moments and could not figure out how to re-log in. I gave up and created a new "persona," but promptly forgot the new password! I think what he did was prohibit using the same password as the username. When he did that, it was "whoa, way too complicated for me" :D

Who knows, I'll probably forget this one in a day or two.

Anyway, I don't really check the mat much, but thanks to this I will probably be more attentive.

2. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking at this picture, I could see how it could happen. I didn't know about the recall when I owned my Gen II Prius and never checked -- I had cloth mats and I believe the recall is for the all-weather mats -- but I always made sure that they were hooked in properly after cleaning.

I've checked my Gen III mats and there is no way they can interfere with the gas pedal.

3. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI: Autoblog

Toyota floormat recall gets explained — Autoblog

EDIT: Hey! 400 posts!

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Where'd the tree go? Oh sure ... like poor Danny doesn't get enough blame
    ;)

As for the OP's question ... after 5 years of taking the driver's mat out again & again, and re-installing with no issues ... er, NO.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. Mine has been securely clipped in place over a year and 7,600 miles and it does not interfere with the gas pedal. Photo shows the gas pedal will not get stuck by the carpet floor mat, and the clear floor mat lays flat and always to the left of the gas pedal (it's a liberal unlike me :)

IM002518.jpg

6. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: FYI: Autoblog

FFS. I never had clips on previous cars, always had mats, and never had a problem with the mat slipping. This is such a non-problem if the owner takes any responsibility, checking that the mat hasn't slipped.

The accelerator pedal design in the Prius is quite long, meaning it does get relatively close to the floor. Previous cars generally had shorter pedals.

Floor mats are a pretty useless item anyway, since all they do is prevent the carpet underneath from wearing or becoming stained. If you plan to keep your car for a long time, carpet wear or stains will have very little impact on the resale value. I only bought mats for the previous car because the carpet beneath the pedals actually had a cutout with a solid plastic piece, which was uncomfortable to put my feet on.

As for putting one mat over another to protect the original mat, the mind boggles. If protecting that mat is so important to you, take the damn thing out of the car.

7. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I did double-check that the mat was hooked correctly, but did not remove it.

8. combsad7

combsad7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am not sure its the floor mats. My factory cruise control in my 2008 Pruis stuck on and would not disengage. It was replaced under warrenty.

9. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My '07 and my wife's '10 Camry have the proper mats with the proper hooks and there is no way in hell these mats can move forward to obstruct the gas pedal. If there is a problem, it would be with the wrong mats, or mats without the hooks. I'm NOT removing my mats.

1 person likes this.
  10. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The mats are staying in both my Avalon and Prius. The hooks hold them in place very well.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't recall a poll here at Priuschat with such a sweeping majority voting one way, and this is particularly interesting as it involves a supposed "safety" issue.

12. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Haven't removed mine, nor will I. They hooks hold it in place just fine. If the hooks fail, I know what to do when a throttle gets stuck.

The guy who was in that wreck recently, a FREAKING COP, should have known what to do. NEUTRAL, brakes until stopped. Losing an engine is better than losing everything.

13. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Unless, it is another issue, such as a cruise control issue someplace in the system computer/s. Read elsewhere where an systems engineer had the same issue, moved the cruise control to disengage, and the engine did just that.

14. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Yes, that is a nice, staged picture. My question would be why would anyone, say in their garage or at a stop light all of a sudden press their pedal all the way to the floor as that is what it would take with that picture.
    There is something else going on here and unfortunately it is intermittent enough that it will be a long while to figure out the cause if it cannot be replicated.

15. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not necessarily;):D

16. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

There was another report elsewhere where the driver disengaged it and the engine over rev stopped. I think the cruise was not even on.

17. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I seriously doubt Toyota models are the only one that could be affected by floor mats. Where is the cry for the other makers recall?

Most likely another issue. After all, it is a computer on wheels:eek:

18. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if this has already been posted. However it would be good to know what is the correct procedure to follow if, God forbid, the accelerator should become stuck on a Prius. Mine is a 2009 gen II. If anyone is knowledgeable about this it could save someones life..Thanks :)

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's posted in the original thread (see first post of this thread).
    Basically...
    1)Try to pull the mat free of the accelerator
    2)Put both feet on the brake pedal and push for all you've got.
    3)Put the car in Neutral (in the Prius, hold the Shifter in the "N" posiltion for about 2 seconds)
    4)Push and hold the Power/Start button for ~3 seconds until the car goes into Neutral.

I expect any level headed individual will not need to go past #2.

2 people like this.
  20. tredstone

tredstone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm surprised the driver had time to call 911... I heard the phone call and it went on for about 20-25 seconds before it cut off. Surely he could've tried any of the things efusco just listed in that time? (particularly #3... the most obvious in my book)