1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have you rust proofed your C?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Species5618w, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I am wondering whether anybody has rust proofed their C. My dealer really recommended against it (would have been an easy $1000 for him), so I am not sure whether it's a good idea to go to a small shop to get it done before winter.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Rust Proofing on modern cars is IMO highly unnecessary, I feel they are going after your money. Modern cars are rust proofed at the factory using modern techniques and materials already. They're just going after additional dealer profits...

Providing a location in your profile could help in offering advice a bit though for those who may have differing opinions.

3. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Actually, the dealer recommended against it because he said Toyota does not recommend rust proofing for hybrid cars to avoid damages to the hybrid components. However, winter here is pretty much snow and salt, which is not easy on cars. That's why I am not sure whether I should get it.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, I misread your post as I read it rather quickly off my phone so I agree with your dealership when they say you do not need it, irregardless of how much snow and salt there is in Canada. We use a TON of salt here in NYC when it snows and I've never ran into a problem after 3 Prius, nor have numerous other Prius owners.

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I did the same thing - it's such a surprise to hear about a dealer not recommending a high profit add-on!

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe I generally agree with the idea of most modern cars not needing rust proofing, so I'd pass. BUT...I don't see how a rust proofing treatment could do any damage to hybrid components.

7. I'm very curious about this as well. The entire underside of my SUV turned entirely to rust a few years back, and it was a 2004. Apparently my rotors rusted out so much that they had to be replaced every 3 years, and I didn't even use the car that much.

Now I just got this car, and I'm afraid it'll happen all over again. You sure rust protection won't be necessary...?

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am one who has had every car that I've ever owned rustproofed.

Ask me, if I would recommend commercially applied rustproofing, I would say NO.

I've rustproofed every one of my vehicles on my own. Most all commercially applied rustproofing is an insurance scam.

Good detailed and really effective rustproofing can't be done in 3-4 hours. I spend 8-16 hours over two weeks to do it correctly. I've had cars and other vehicles that last over 15 years or more that have developed only surface rust.

Actually, I've had great success with aerosol cans, like these sold in eBay.

I used five cans and a couple of cans of cheap undercoating to thoroughly rustproof my Prius"v."

The most important thing is to use the wand to spray every cavity first. Then, you go and coat every bolt screw and steel bracket including the brake lines and fittings. The last thing to do is to coat all the body edge joints in the floor pan and the engine compartment and the floor pan.

After a couple of weeks of drying time, then I would undercoat the panels in the floor that would be subject to stone damage. Undercoating is NOT rustproofing. It is basically a "mechanical barrier."

Sixty years of success has shown me that this inexpensive process really works. And, it appears to have been a good animal repellant. too. I really like the benefit that I've NEVER had to deal with corroded and frozen fasteners.