1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Having trouble separating engine and transaxle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius_chatter, Apr 17, 2021.

1. prius_chatter

prius_chatter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all.

I'm parting out a 2007 Prius for fun. More or less following BodenM's excellent guide on removing the engine out the top and it has been smooth sailing up through step 6 where we separate the engine and transaxle.

Apparently there are a total of 10 bolts holding the two together:
    • 2 19mm bolts through the bottom engine mount which anchors the engine and transaxle to the front cross member
    • 2 14mm bolts through the starter block-off plate
    • 6 more 14mm bolts on the top, rear and bottom of the engine and transaxle cases.
    I've removed all these, as well as both pieces of the passenger-side engine mount. I've got the engine suspended from a hoist and the transaxle propped up by a floor jack. According to everything I've read, the engine can be pulled off the transaxle now, with a little coercion.

But I've been pulling and prying and pulling some more and even raising and lowering the jack and hoist and generally being progressively rougher with it, even to the point of possibly damaging the engine/transaxle. The engine just doesn't want to come off. There's a convenient spot for prying on the front of the assembly, and I can get the cases to separate a little by prying there, but they snap back together afterwards. It's like I've missed a bolt near the top, but I definitely took all the bolts out.

So...if you've done this before...any tips? Am I missing something? Or do I just have to pull harder?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Though not gen3 specific, curious if @Ragingfit or @cnc97 might have some valuable input.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recollect @Ragingfit notes a recess on the underside seam (3rd gen) that seems made for putting in a small cold chisel, giving it a few taps.

Also triple check there’s not one more bolt.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  4. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

IIRC, mine separated on its own when all the bolts were out. Just make sure that you are relativity level when lifting the engine. Otherwise you’ll put it in a bind.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How is everything for general rust and corrosion? Your description makes me wonder if there is rust built up on the transmission shaft splines, seizing it in the damper that bolts to the flywheel. If that's the case, not sure how you would get them apart.