1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hawaii Prius Owners

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FlyFast93, Dec 28, 2017.

1. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,

I am looking for Hawaii Prius owners (especially on Oahu) with experience trouble shooting and repairing the hybrid system, and any recommendations for good independent mechanics. I have 2010 Gen 3 and am waiting my 3rd battery from FALCON HYBRID. My last battery ran great for 3 months...not so great. This has been very frustrating, but I am learning more along the way. Most recently, I was able to use Engine Link app on iPhone with a Carista OBD adapter to watch my battery pack failing. I received my battery in "kit" form which is three boxes containing the individual batteries...kind of a pain, but gets easier with some techniques.

Thank you for anyone with advice!

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So sorry for your pain, but why would those batteries fail within a short period of time?
    Hope some one comes to your rescue soon

3. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great question! I have no idea. The batteries are from undetermined sources, supposedly "conditioned" and "balanced" using their system and "simulator." At 130k, the car (with roof racks -- i.e. drag) was getting low 40's MPG. The replacement pack performed much better with high 40's MPG until the red ToD and "check hybrid system" warning. The scan origonally only showed PA080 general code and I could reset the codes and drive without lights for a bit. The lights returned when the Vmax-Vmin voltage (observed on Engine Link) exceeded 1.0 volts. Then, progressively it got worse with less time until the faults returned, and eventually 2 blocks indicated failed. At this point, the company FALCON HYBRID agreed to warranty replace the pack.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wao! I just hope they replace it with a new pack, and not a reconditioned one.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Falcon sells refurb batteries. Sooner or later they die. Since you have experience check out the kit 2k1toaster is selling.

6. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll take a look - thanks. I tried to shame FALCON into a new pack...but, only another refurb, with shipping charge (one way) and core charge. This has been a real bummer...but, fingers crossed that this pack works.

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    #7 padroo, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.