1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hawaii to be 1st state with electric car stations

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ScubaGypsy, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy Live Free & Leave No Footprint

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had searched on the web prior to posting but couldn't find anything that directly states this policy. I stumbled upon this during a visit as I was looking for a parking spot and found the limited number of visitor spots greatly reduced and filled but that the rest of the front row was marked for hybrids only. Unfortunately cameras are not allowed on their property so it isn't possible to capture a picture of their signs. I asked my contacts about it and they told me of the change from long tenure employees to hybrids only and the original discontent that it had caused but was now generally accepted.

Apparently the company is being aggressive in terms of stewardship at all of their facilities but I do not know if each facility has its own practices or if this particular instance is a company wide policy. This link provides an overall summary of their stewardship efforts though it does not specifically mention the hybrid parking initiative. The energy and environment links in particular are rather progressive. I'm also aware that the Portsmouth, RI facility has been seriously looking into placing a couple of large wind generators on their property. The Town of Portsmouth is currently in the process of constructing a wind turbine at the High School but Raytheon's efforts would be independent of this. Raytheon's Andover, MA facility added 100-kW of solar panels in May 2008.

The local facility has an employees association wildlife habitat committee that has been locally recognized for their wildlife management program on their property.

2. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey now, I never said I was against the technology at all. It's a new thing I have yet to get used to.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The entire point of Better Place is capitalism. These people plan to pay to put in chargers and MAKE MONEY doing it. They are making a business of installing chargers. Taxpayers pay for our wars the pay for importing and protecting oil. They are paying to "rescue" our financial system. They are being asked to keep the auto industry - private corporations - from going belly-up. Where the hell is the outrage? You're worried about helping to fund something that will benefit all of us? Even when it isn't happening?

The taxpayers have already funded public chargers. A few thousand of them. They also paid the auto makers to build electric cars. Then the car companies (the same ones asking for a handout at this very moment) sued the state of CA and all the tax-payer-supported EV programs were scraped. Where's the outrage?

Answer to the first question: To charge EVs. Answer to the second question: No.

So you're just being ignorant, negative and annoying for sport? You don't get "used to" something by making wild, ignorant, negative assumptions and crapping all over it. You get used to something by listening to those who know about the subject.

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. ScubaGypsy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Better Place Unveils Design and Deployment of Charging Spot and Electric Parking Lots in Israel

TEL AVIV (Dec 08, 2008) -- Better Place Israel, which is deploying the world's first nationwide network for charging electric vehicles, today demonstrated for the first time its charging spot plugged in and charging an electric car in Israel. The company unveiled its first plugged in parking lots as well as the charging spot design that will be used in deployments around the world.

6. ScubaGypsy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Better Place Coming To Japan

The Japanese government announced Tuesday that consumers will be able to swap depleted batteries for fresh ones easily when they don't have time to plug in. Thomas Friedman calls it a new way to generate mobility. Starting with municipal fleets, the program is the first step toward electrifying Japan's vehicles. The Japanese Environment Ministry invited Better Place to take part in the feasibility project for up to six months starting in January in several cities, starting with Yokohama, south west of Tokyo.

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In general, A Better Place is getting away from the battery swap model. The idea of buying/maintaining millions more batteries than are needed in the vehicles is a bit of a reach.

8. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wow that is very progressive, i'm impressed. thanks for the info

9. ScubaGypsy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I worked there in the 1980's and can attest that this is a much different attitude than before when even the handling of hazardous materials was suspect at best. I too am quite surprised and impressed with their current approaches and considerations. Hopefully we'll see ALL companies entertain these types of practices as part of their corporate responsibilities.

10. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're saying they are getting away from the battery swap model? I follow them closely and I don't see them saying that anywhere. What's your source for this or are you just saying they should move away from that model?

11. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldnt doubt that for a second. My company also engaged in some questionable practices in the 80s and 90s before the govt started cracking down and since then theres been a world of improvment