1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hawkeye aligment system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by szgabor, Sep 9, 2012.

1. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yesterday I had my car serviced in a brand new Toyota location.

First step was that write-up person clamped 4 "caps" on the wheel and pushed hard from the left back corner of the car through a machine which then printed a sheet which I was shown but not given a copy.

It showed alignment fine but toe was bad on the front since I do not have the copy I can not tell the numbers;

And if the alligment is fine but the toe bad according to this test how 'BAD' and what can be bad about this ... I have 40k on the car nothing out whack .. tires little worn but nothing really whacky ... ???

First is this Hawkeye whatever is something to believe ???? I just looked it up .. hate "patented" systems no one knows what the numbers means.....

Also the guy was pushing the car on the left back corner pretty hard so the frame was not at all level sure enough the print out showed at least in my reading as the front left was out of whack the toe was leading "up" on the left ...

anyone care to comment ??

The stupid printout was warning some tire wear which is NOT there even by their own inspection sheet

2. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It sounds like this Toyota Service Department is trying a new way to rob its customers. Use your own judgment and experience with your car. If it doesn't sound right, then its probably not. If you have 40k on your original tires, with no unusual wear, your alignemnt is fine. I have said this in many of my posts. Toyota service is the worst. Its not just one service department..I have been to 3 in my area and they are all the same. Inexperienced Monkeys work on your car and the service writers are crooks. Toyota Service is the only negative about owning a Prius.

3. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your opinion but if I understand you, do not know much about this computerized tool either :( ... The truth is I have never seen how wheel alignment done my first ever car was the prius before this which I traded .. for this one none of the car had ANYthing but the required maintenance... except one busted side mirror and back bumper replaced for a fender bender.

OH yes today morning driving the car first after the service mentioned above I had the tire alarm system activated. guess what front 33 back 31 psi ... and the guy was sloppy enough not resetting the system ... I use 42/40 so 31 triggered the alarm .. I just coudn;t believe working close on about a block from home 7:45 and all four tire needed inflated ... oh I was so happy ...

And I feel some unusual drag and my daily commute mpg was unusually low about 7-9mpg less then as the day/traffic indicated (have SG to monitor). Sheet says 5 qt oil is used I have this bad feeling they guy really put in 5qt ... is that possible ... the stick is useless I pull out and oil is everywhere way up from the dot .. every time I pull it out different smear this is really a shitty way to measure oil level.

Going back tomorrow....

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sounds like they are using the system that Sears recently adopted. I suppose they did this in the service drive? I've found those systems to be a hit/miss, as I have had my car aligned and the system's printouts indicate the vehicle to be borderline out of alignment.

At the end of the day, the total amount of toe is the main driver of tire wear. Depending on how the vehicle was setup, especially if it was not on a rack, can cause the readings to vary significantly.

5. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes it is on the service drive I noticed my car's wheel were not even within some yellow line printed on the floor. That must be there for a reason ... and then car was pushed visible unevenly forward until the screen changed indicated some reading ...

Thanks that was my thinking. The fancy machine and untrained people clearly doing something very sloppily but looks good all car went through this and everyone shown the printout but it is not part of the service paperwork I signed and given copies of ... weird...