1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hayne's Repair Manual for pre-release ordering

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Neicy, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If technical manuals are expensive and hard to find, can this be any good? I would think it must be very general in nature, especially since it spans both Gen I & II and is very cheap at $15.61.

What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_0/102-...Ci%3Astripbooks

2. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not a mechanic but I have alway thought Haynes books to be of very high quality. I have bought and used several. I don't see why a book on the Prius would be any different.

~buttster

3. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Neicy @ Nov 13 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]539190[/snapback]</div>
    I'll buy one. Where did you see it?

4. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Had a link in but had to change it. I was just searching for Prius on Amazon.com. Pure chance.

5. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm going to have to disagree with the prior posts. I've found the Hayes, as well as other manuals they sell at the local parts store to be completely worthless. They usually are written like this:

Transmission change:
    1) Discount negative ground wire.
    2) Raise vehicle.
    3) Remove transmission.
    4) lower vehicle.
    5) Reconnect negative ground wire.

They're just too vague for anything other than the most basic of jobs. Try to find a used factory service manual (search for Prius FSM or something like that). I know on the domestic cars they're around $100, but these are the manuals the dealers reference. They're very detailed and complete. You can usually find them used as repair folks sell off their old copies when new ones come in.

Mike

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. DH would be interested to see it, but he kinda rolls his eyes at the company. they're great if you're interested in knowing a little more about your vehicle. don't expect precise, in-depth anything.

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, good to know, because I was looking and will put my order in.

They are great books for the average shade-tree mechanic, ie: Tune-ups, brakes, basic diagnostic, fluids, panels, interior etc. I've owned one of those books for every car I've owned (and even a car I didn't, Porsche 911, because I wanted to know about it. Kinda sick.) Each time they've saved me $100's and once $1000's of dollars.

It will be interesting to see if unique but basic services like inverter coolant changes and PSD fuid changes will be included. But since things like starters and alternators are abscent on this car, what they cover must be Prius specific. Can't imagine HV Battery cell diagnosis and replacement will be a topic, but unit removal and replacement might be..

That being said it is not for the Professional who may have access to the $Thousands of $ of diagnostic equipment and special tools to service entirely unique parts of this car that Haynes doubtfully covers.

So, are you a pro with equip to delve beyond the basics? If not , good book.

8. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 14 2007, 12:30 AM) [snapback]539275[/snapback]</div>
    That is what I figured. Might be interesting reading anyway for someone like me who is just trying to learn more. I was hoping you would comment.

Thanks.

9. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Neicy.... I orderd one. I'll post findings when it arrives !!!