1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hazards won’t turn off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Juliana Barzac, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Juliana Barzac

Juliana Barzac New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2011 Toyota Prius, 153k miles. Have had it for about 7 months. All of a sudden the hazards keep blinking and won’t shut off. The blinking gets faster when I accelerate and shuts off when I stop. Turn signals work when hazards shut off. I Pulled the hazards/blinker fuse and still uncontrollably blinks. I Unplugged the hazard switch itself and still blinks uncontrollably. I checked all wires around the ECU and they’re intact and clean no bite marks. I removed the sky blue wire from terminal 10 of connector at the skid control and hazards turned off. However, now the car displays skid control warning lights, ABS, steering, and check hybrid system. The car will not move and is stuck in neutral or park. Any advice on where to go from here? Trying to avoid a mechanic due to cost. Bought the car for $5,000 USD so don’t really wanna spend the money for a new ECU

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    techinfo.toyota.com

3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm suspecting the push-switch is having an issue....owner might've sprayed cleaner or something that got inside of it. Do you have a can of canned air you can attach the little nozzle on and try spraying air all around that switch? Might push whatevers in there far enough to fix it. (Always start with the easy fix!)

4. Juliana Barzac

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah I tried that. I thought the switch was stuck. I took the plastic piece off that gives access to the wiring under the switch. Everything was intact and voltage was normal

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like there's some kind of signal interference with your hazard light circuit path. Next step is to figure out where in the car that mostly likely will occur and then buy a used one at a wrecking yard and swap it out. Perhaps @Elektroingenieur will see this and give you a sense of which component or wiring harness location where this could be happening. In the meantime, at least everyone will be extra cautious around you when they see you on the road, so that's a postive.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have the well-known issue documented here. One of the brake ECU's miscellaneous jobs is to generate a pulse signal that tells other things in the car how fast the car is going (by how fast the pulses come). Brake ECU has that job because it has the inputs from the wheel speed sensors.

The brake ECU also has a connection to the hazard circuit, which is only supposed to be an input (so the ECU knows when the hazards are on ... I don't really know why it cares). But those two signals are right next to each other at the ECU's connector, and when they somehow become bridged, you end up with the speed pulse output driving the hazard lights.

It seems like you probably already saw the above-linked post if you removed that HZRI wire. That's what I would do as well. The member LeftyLucy in that thread did so, and didn't get the warnings you've reported. (Also, as far as I know, @LeftyLucy is the person who has made more progress than anyone else yet toward finding out exactly how those two circuits get bridged. I don't think there's a final answer yet though.)

So, because not everybody gets warning lights like you've reported, I have to suspect that something else happened in your case, maybe inadvertent or unnoticed, as you were doing that work. Not to sound like a broken record, to find out why you've got those lights on, just going ahead and reading your trouble codes will be the most help.

If you don't have a scan tool for doing that, you can use the Tc to CG jumper wire method, and count the light blinks. A search should turn up threads with the details.

I'll be interested in what the codes turn out to be.

#6 ChapmanF, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  7. Juliana Barzac

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Turns out the issue was I didn’t completely plug back in the connector on the computer directly left to the fuse box. So, cutting the sky blue wire on terminal 10 of the skid control module/ECU worked. Once the connector was back on, hazards went off and car ran perfectly normal. After checking codes they read; lost contact with engine control module/Powertrain module A. Codes were cleared and went on with my life. No parts or mechanic needed.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (y)

I still hope that somebody, someday, will proceed to disassemble one of the skid ECUs that fails, so that we learn more about just how those two circuits get bridged, and whether it suggests an increased chance of anything else flaking out next.

So far, I'm not aware of anyone besides @LeftyLucy pursuing that.

Mostly just for the use of future readers coming to this thread: as you see, there was a trouble code that pointed pretty much directly at the missed connection that needed to be plugged back in (the computer next to the fuse box is the ECM). That's why we harp on reading the codes; it can save a lot of time and investigation.

#8 ChapmanF, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  9. shawn.ne

shawn.ne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can someone please point me in the direction of how to do this? I can't even find a diagram of where the skid control ECU is or even a photo or part number for Gen III

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The skid ECU is part of the brake master cylinder with booster assembly. Try following the "documented here" link in post #6 above. You will see diagrams of the connector and some photos. Removal of the windshield wipers and cowl gives better access. That's the same as if you were changing your spark plugs, so you can find plenty of threads about that.

shawn.ne likes this.
  11. shawn.ne

shawn.ne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. I have changed the plugs a few times. Actually have a new set ready, but car's "only" at 174k.