1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HD Radio Standard?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Redpoint5, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While looking at used Prii for sale, I noticed a picture of the dash of one Prius that said HD on the radio.

Is HD radio standard on the latest model of Prius? Did it become standard with the 2012 model? Do any of the 2010-2011 models include it?

It's not a must have feature, but it would be nice to get HD radio with steering wheel controls. I find it annoying that after 10 years of broadcasting this high quality and free signal, that even high end receivers don't receive it. I'd like to see XM satellite go away.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my pip has it, sounds kind of tinny tho. might be the stereo, but i often turn it off for better sound.

3. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does that mean the Prius HD radio is low quality?

I installed a $40 HD radio (Dual brand) in a Camry 5 years ago, and it sounds fantastic.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know anything about it. i'm not sure what others are experiencing, but most of the time, it sounds like a tin can, or drum like. iirc there's a thread somewhere, i think most liked it, you do get a lot more stations.

5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like it - I think it sounds considerably better on than off. If anything, I'd say just the opposite - that off it sounds kind of hollow. Hard to compare it to anything but itself though - FM radios can sound considerably better or worse depending on design.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe mine's defective.:(

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have a Pioneer 33HD radio in my 2004 Prius. The sound quality improvement in HD is quite noticeable (especially on AM).

JeffD

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see it on any trim level in my 2010 brochure. The 2012 brochure shows it standard on Threes and higher, but absent from the Twos.

Redpoint5 likes this.
  9. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The Two's have no such option

10. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    HD radio is digital AM. I'm not sure what you guys are referring to.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The version in other Prii - but not in your trim level - is the digital FM version of this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd_radio

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now i'm not sure what i have, i think both.o_O

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have digital FM. If we have digital AM, I wouldn't know it because there are no stations broadcasting that I am aware of.

I find HD radio similar to SiriusXM. Satellite still gets the nod for better quality but it's difficult to notice in the stock Prius sound sound system in my PiP. The only problem I have with HD radio is that it cuts out when reception is poor. On regular radio, you'd just get some static and only on really bad occasions would you not understand what you hear. HD radio would be an abrupt pause like a skipping CD. We all know that Prius antenna is not a particularly good one so it happens often even though I live in the SF Bay Area.

Still, I listen to HD exclusively because you have almost twice the FM channels. There are two channels on almost every station.

iPhone ?

14. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have HD radio, it should be labeled as such.
    [​IMG]

While clarity is in the ear of the listener, most audiophiles would disagree, preferring instead to listen to HD radio. I find satellite to be of lower audio quality than standard FM radio.

15. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Definitely. Standard FM generally sounds far better than satellite - HD radio all the more so.

Satellite is the bottom of the barrel sound quality wise - barely passable - and bad enough that I often turned off music I would otherwise have enjoyed hearing during my trial period.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i have the icon. assume it's for am/fm. and i get the multiple fm signals under the same station. i can't argue with the experts, i've always been happy with a reasonably priced upgrade of radio/amp/speakers, never felt the need for the base like the thunder i hear coming from cars around me.:)

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When the digital signal drops out, a station's HD Channel #1 should fall back to the noisier analog signal. The transition is quite noticeable as the treble and bass drop out, but the program is still there.

Channels 2 and 3 (and any more, if they exist) have no analog to which to fall back. The same applies to satellite radio.

mmmodem likes this.
  18. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My radio sounds pretty darn good on Satellite, FM, USB, Bluetooth from phone music player, etc. Never tried AM.
    I assume everyone knows there are speaker settings in the Display Audio settings that can change the sound quite a bit.
    I'm out in the desert and I get good quality reception all the time.