1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HD Radio?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by brick, Oct 4, 2011.

1. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is anyone aware of a way to add a HD radio tuner without installing a whole new head unit? I would have expected to see a little stand-alone tuner by now that would plug into the aux jack, but nobody seems to make one. I can add a head unit (like I have done on every other car I have owned) but I would prefer a simple solution if there is one. Thoughts?

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to take that as a "No." Which is fine. It did seem unlikely that PriusChat would reveal secrets unknown to Google.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe Google for cheap hd radio? Clicking on Buy now at Zune HD | Zune.net leadds to a Zune HD bundle for $159. That has HD Radio but isn't that cheap... (I personally don't care much about HD Radio.)

4. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw some one ebay for $200. It said has hd radio and ipod control. I am thinking about it also. I want to find out if I swap out the head unit, but keep everything else will I lose bluetooth.

5. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After some more open-minded research, relatively low cost seems doable. There are plenty of head units with HD tuners, and some can be had for under $100. The cheap way to go would be one of those in a "stealth" install like some others have done below the stock unit. If the add-on unit has a line-out I guess I could even run it to the line-in on the stock receiver. That would be the clunky equivalent of a stand-alone add-on receiver (like the XM unit that I'm ditching) that I originally had in mind.

But if I'm going to go to all that trouble, it's hard to see why I wouldn't spend the money on a good head unit and gain sound quality and other perks.

Just thinking out loud.

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since HD radio has a shorter range (distance) than regular FM, a high quality head unit sounds like a good idea.

Unless you are in an area where you already get excellent FM reception, HD reception will disappoint you.

7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the coastal tech unit
    XM Radio in Prius
    Put it in back ran an antenna and wired it to the back of the stock unit, it plugs right in and the steering wheel controls run it, xm subscription is as you know extra and negotiable.

8. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right, SiriusXM is easy. I also don't like it. I have had XM since '04 and I'm getting rid of it due to a number of gripes. I'd rather listen to local programming during my commute, and XM drops out constantly on the routes where I drive my longer trips. My original mission was to find a HD tuner of a similar form factor that I could add in place of my XM tuner. No such option seems to exist.

Fortunately PriusChat'ers seem to be all-over aftermarket stereos. A couple days' research tells me that a new head unit is what it takes to do HD in our cars, and that's completely doable.

9. hdgroove

hdgroove New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    try
    Visteon HD Jump Transportable High Def Radio Receiver with Car Kit, you can also get the optional Home Kit to attach this hd radio to your home stereo. Visteon is both AM HD & FM HD
    also
    Cydle T43H 4.3-Inch HD Radio Receiver with GPS, this is a gps unit with FM HD radio tuner with a touch screen interface, & HD Radio traffic feeds.(but no AM HD)
    i own both of the above units and have found them to be excellent. I like the Visteon the best for radio.
    a third choice is
    JVC KT-HDPK1 Transportable HD Radio Receiver with Car Kit, this is a much cheaper unit, so beaware you get what you pay for.

10. hdgroove

hdgroove New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    another option
    Insignia™ - HD Radio Portable Player - NS-HD01 from Best Buy
    this is a portable FM HD radio that will plug in into the aux. I have used these in my vehichles with good results. i own two, so that i have one always charged. you can charge them by usb or many wall cell-phone chargers work.

11. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for pointing those out! One of those portable units is pretty much what I was looking for.

12. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the JVC tuner plus "professional" installation kit on Amazon for ~$30, so I'm going to give it a shot. The JVC tuner gets middling reviews on its own, but this kit has the advantage of plugging into the car's stock antenna instead of relying on a crappy internal antenna. That probably gives me the best shot at decent reception without going to a new head unit. I'll report back on the experiment once it's installed and tested...probably a couple weeks.

What was I saying about PriusChat and information that I can't find on google? :D

13. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have results, and they are mostly good. Once I figured out how to get to the antenna plug on the stock radio, the install was a breeze. The "professional"-type installation kit comes with a splitter box that allows the radio to steal the signal from the stock antenna. Taking the dash apart, running the wires, and buttoning it back up probably took 90 minutes. I could probably do it again in under 30. The radio itself is mounted on the same custom bracket where my XM radio sat, so that was a non-issue as well. (The installation kit also comes with the bracket, and you can either screw it or stick it to your location of choice.)

In terms of functionality, I have no complaints whatsoever. HD radio is not a panacea, IMHO. But sound quality is definitely a step up over analog radio, for stations that support HD. For those that don't, I think the stock receiver sounds better but the JVC unit gets by. Sometimes the HD signal is too weak and it defaults to analog, and those transitions are seamless. I can hear the difference from the sound, but the content is perfectly in-phase. There is one spot (a small valley) on my commute where this happens daily.

The one truly bad thing is the display settings. JVC decided, for whatever reason, that there should be two ends to the brightness setting spectrum: looking at a welding torch, and staring into the sun. Apparently nobody in Japan drives at night with the radio on. The lowest setting (MIG welder, specifically) would be positively blinding if I had the radio on the dash. With the radio mounted near the cup holder, as in my case, it is merely a nuisance. No, there is no setting to shut the backlight off after XX seconds, as the XM radio had. I'm not sure what to do about that, but some modification will be necessary as we head into winter, the season of dark commutes.

1 person likes this.
  14. Beelzel

Beelzel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just two pennies… we have an HD radio in another car and all I can say is it is not really up to the hype. Driving in the Northern Va area there are quite a few stations, but spotty reception in most areas with the radio "resyncing" often and for long periods. Driving in downtown DC, just forget a out it working. No reception once you are in the built-up areas.
    N.B. yes, when it works the sound quality is exceptional… just seems to quit in the middle of my favorite "sing along chorus" parts (embarrassingly off-key)

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I installed a Pioneer DEH-33HD radio in my 2004 (after the second OE CD player quit working) and it is a better AM/FM radio than the OE (and the CD player is reliable). The radio switches automatically to HD when the signal strength is sufficient. Hearing AM radio with CD quality is pleasant.

The radio was installed where the OE radio used to be with a nice surround for $250 (doing it myself would have saved about $75), but since I was not willing to spend an extra $150, the steering wheel and MFD stereo functions are disabled (I do have a small remote control for the stereo).

JeffD