1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head and fog light modding

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jamiec123, Jul 4, 2017.

1. jamiec123

jamiec123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Has anyone attempted to take their head and fog lights apart?

I had custom retrofitted headlights on my 2015 Tacoma and the insides were painted black, same with the fog lights. Basically just painting the chrome is what my goal is.
    I know the housings on my 2016 Camry are permasealed so I can't take them apart. I wonder if the Prius is the same.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For Prius cars sold in the U.S., the only disassembly of the headlights described in the Repair Manual (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com) is to replace the turn signal light bulbs. The Electronic Parts Catalog (in Figure 81-01, Headlamp) on Toyota’s U.S. website lists the headlamp unit assemblies, list price $1167.51 each (!), but not any of their components.

It’s different in other countries, where some Prius models have a headlight leveling system that may need to be serviced. The European edition of the Repair Manual (available by subscription to toyota-tech.eu) includes procedures for further disassembly of the headlights, including removal of the headlight lens, lens gasket, (LED) headlight unit, and leveling motor.

Interestingly, the EPC on Toyota’s website has a second image for Figure 81-01 that shows these components, but none of them is on the parts list. I don’t know if headlight parts for the Prius in Japan or Europe would be compatible with a U.S. car, or if our headlight assemblies are indeed—as you speculate—permanently sealed. Considering the price, though, it would be convenient to be able to replace a lens or LED unit separately.

I believe the fog light assemblies are sealed in all markets; at least, no edition of the Repair Manual I’ve seen (U.S., Europe, or Japan) includes a procedure for opening them, and no edition of the EPC lists any of their components as service parts.

RCO likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are referring to painting the internal reflector painting the OEM headlights would likely make them too dim for legal road use. Toyota would not have them silver unless it was required by law.

jamiec123 likes this.
  4. jamiec123

jamiec123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Painting the chrome inside the housing doesn't make your lights dim. Maybe you're misunderstanding me? I'm not referring to the outside lens.

You can lightly smoke tint the reflectors, they just need to still function as a reflector.

Some models of Ford F150s have black internals in their headlights. So painting the insides is not a legal issue.

5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Fords have black internals and were approved that way.
    You cannot assume from if you modify lights yourself that they will still be street legal. They may or may not be. That is my point.
    Just a friendly warning.

RCO likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could try removing the ICE and see if that improves the fuel economy, but I don't think you'll find any improvement that way either! (n)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. jamiec123

jamiec123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Ummm, yeeeeaaahhh, that makes no sense.

Apparently you guys aren't into modding vehicles as much as I am.
    Custom lighting mods are nothing unheard of.

8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cars that are not street legal are not unheard of either.

9. jamiec123

jamiec123 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    This is a pointless disagreement.

Painting the chrome doesn't make anything illegal. It changes nothing functionality wise to your lights. They still light up the road the same and the reflectors are still inside.

This is the second time in my short membership that I've had a stupid issue. The other being window tint and one said that I could possibly run someone over because 20% is too dark.

Maybe my style is a little too "extreme" for some folks here, idk.

Reckon I'll just stop visiting this site and take my "illegal" mods and ideas elsewhere.

roadwarrior28 likes this.
  10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok! Don't lose your cool because we can be a bit sarcastic. It may be considered the lowest firm of wit, but it is also a very effective 'wake up and smell the coffee' stimulant. You may well believe this painted headlamp reflector is OK, but some of us here have been around the block a few more times than you... Just sayin'!

I'm pretty sure every one of us old farts on here have been the same age as you some time ago and remember the stup things we once did, (perhaps still do from time to time). However, this all accumulates to a greater or lesser degree as wisdom. Now, I fully expect you'll go out and do whatever you want and that's fine. We simply can't help playing our paternal role in cautioning you, sort of looking out for you before you leap without looking, so to speak.

I'm sorry if you feel disrespected because that's not the case. You will always be welcome on here, but be prepared for a good bit of friendly ribbing. Please don't be disheartened by it, join in and mix it with us, preferably politely, which I'm please to say you've always been. (y)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think you'll find your answer here in regards to finding out if the new headlight uses permaseal. I did a quick search and came up empty handed.

I also agree with OP in that the painting of the inside headlamp will not cause dimming assuming you're not painting the high beam location (does the gen4 have a reflector halogen high beam?). Don't all gen4 come with led projectors now?

Most of the people on here are very friendly and are glad to help others out. I think this is one of the few cases were the responders came off a little rude, but know that there aren't very many of them on this forum.

RCO likes this.
  12. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 4th gen Prius uses a single Koito LED projector + lens that functions as both lowbeam and highbeam (and DRL on non-Touring trims); painting the plastic chrome shroud around it will have no effect on the light output.

Back to the original question...I know Toyota uses Permaseal on the Tundra and Camry; I'd bet they do on the Prius now too.

RCO likes this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gentlemen, please accept my sincere and humble apologies for my ignorance on this subject and thank you for your enlightened wisdom. @jamiec123 I hope you can forgive the rudeness of my obvious misunderstanding.

14. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Jamie123c
    The lights are permaseal. I did a lot of hid protector retrofits back in the days. I think taking them apart on this car just to paint isn't worth the trouble as we already have projectors (led). Anyways, painting it won't effect the law or hinder outputs since it's projector type. If this is a reflector type (which it is not), then painting the reflect would. I think you better off head over to TRS for this type of questions...folks here don't know much technical/mods as far as I can tell.

roadwarrior28 and RCO like this.
  15. roadwarrior28

roadwarrior28 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

After being on BMW and VW/Audi forums for years, the amount of unnecessary and unprovoked drivel from crotchety old farts here is honestly hilarious and sad at the same time. What they don't understand is that we actually know what we're doing, talking about, and have much more "experience" than they claim to have (this is obvious by RCO and ProdigyPlaces complete lack of understanding of country-specific regulatory conditions and norms, and actual knowledge of the technology itself).

If people can successfully take apart the lights, I would like to do a clear lens swap and tune it for more color flicker, and perhaps repainting the housings a darker color. I believe people have done clear lens swaps on the koito bi-leds before. Let us know if you end up opening them!

16. roadwarrior28

roadwarrior28 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Did Jamiec123 inquire about the legality of the modification? Unless I'm missing something here, can you please explain what compels you to give your unsolicited opinion on a matter which will literally not affect you in any way, shape, or form?

17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You, Sir, are welcome to remain on this forum or leave at any time of your choosing. I feel certain that your talents will be appreciated wherever you go. An old fart once told me that if I didn't like the heat, I should flick off out of the kitchen. When you eventually get older, as I hope you will, you will begin to understand these things better. A wiser man than I once said, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Wisdom cannot be taught, or learned from a book.

Hope you feel better soon, BTW. I suspect you've had a really tough day. (y)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first post solicited advice and it was given.
    The main purpose of this forum is sharing advice to help others avoid issues.

19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a young man, I never considered my elders to have been young and idealistic themselves once. In fact I never considered them much at all, so I must have been a real jerk back then.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg

G'-Day, Mates! Here's a toast of the Bourbon glasses to all my fellow Crotchety Old Farts! :D

I'm a proud member of the Crotchety, Cranky, and Cantankerous Club!
    And along with them, to all our addicted posters, the insomniacs, the diehards, the no-lifers, and the prisoners and convicts who post on Prius Chat 365 days a year! All the folks with over 2,000 posts! :eek: A tip of the glass to ya!

And a very special toast to the Ambassador of Prius Chat... Mr bisco, with over 55,000 posts (and counting!) They don't call him "quick-draw" bisco for nothing! :) Here Here!!

Let's see some pictures of the famous bisco PIP! And RCO and PP, post a pic of your Prius, or we might think you are really driving a 1970 Ford Fairlane! :ROFLMAO:

#20 CoastRider, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017