1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head Gasket Fail

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by C Clay, Jun 6, 2023.

1. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just had my head gasket replaced (head gasket, valve cover gasket, intake manifold gasket, intake manifold/EGR port cleaning, head studs/washers, cylinder head machine work) about 8,000 miles or three months ago and it just failed. Failed hard it would seem. Hard start Friday Morning. Maybe similar Saturday morning. Didn't really notice much. Maybe I thought it ran a little rough going to work (100 miles round trip, 55 mph all the way). Sunday, hard start to church, then same after church. Sunday (200 miles into the issue), I think I smell coolant while driving and sure enough! The coolant is lower than it has ever been actually (even lower than when I was looking to fix it the first time.). The shop is going to redo it- but they are 100 miles away.

Not intended to be a dumb question. What is the danger of driving this 100 miles? I have a scan guage, and can watch the temperature and coolant level. I'm just thinking this through- the real issue is when the gasket goes the cylinder(s) could fluid with coolant and that's a whole other issue isn't it?

I suppose I can tow it. What a mess. On a related note- take a look at this photo. This appears to have a black piece of the gasket shown and then the grey I guess is the gasket sealer. Is this unusual to have them visible like this?

Attached Files:

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They should be resposible for towing, since their work failed. 8000 miles is
    pretty far. But it certainly should last a lot longer than that.
    Did it over heat because the water pump failed? Or perhaps they didn't get the air out
    and it finally just overheated and blew the gasket. Hopefully it didn't warp the head.
    Or they will be paying for that also.

I would think it's risky to drive it in that condition. You risk more damage.
    Hard to tell where that picture is.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks like too much form-in-place gasket? Maybe even blocked a coolant passage??

4. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For perspective, here is a larger picture . The area circled was 2 inches up from dipstick . IMG_3316.jpg

iPhone ?

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt the sealant glob is the problem. I've seen repaired hgs fail due to poorly torqued head bolts or warped heads. Unfortunately, the head gasket problems on these cars start slow and infrequent. You could have had an extremely small leak from the day they brought it back to you.

The first cold start metal to metal rattle that clears quickly should be the last before repair. No egr cleanings, no plugs, coils or injectors and certainly no sealants. Yes, before coolant loss is obvious.

Your shop needs to carefully inspect the head and block surfaces for warping, and verify the pistons all have proper stroke to rule out a bent rod. These steps are essential.

You should get a brand new warranty after the work is done. Hopefully one year or longer.

Given the potential severity of the symptoms today, I would not drive it another foot.

This video graphically illustrates why:

Honestly the best solution is a rebuilt engine for $3k plus freight and labor.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who did the work?

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, much better, thanks. That is where the timing cover attaches to the head and
    cam shaft assembly, there is supposed to be extra permatex there.
    Since the had was machined, and egr system cleaned, it shouldn't be that.
    Unless.... I didn't notice if he cleaned the egr COOLER. If he didn't, and that is clogged, it will
    create back pressure and blow the head gasket.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your posted picture is at the junction between head, valve cover, and timing chain cover. There's supposed to be a gasket under the valve cover, and a dab of sealant at the junction between timing chain cover and head. Attached Repair Manual excerpt has info. Here's pics of ours, never been off:

IMG_1244.jpeg IMG_1243.jpeg

Yours looks fine: you can just see that little triangular protrusion of the valve cover gasket, and there's sealant applied as well:

upload_2023-6-6_10-55-0.png

per @ASRDogman, maybe a half-baked job of EGR cleaning? It's a gamble entrusting that to "professionals", it's time consuming, takes attention to detail. They might have missed the EGR channels in the intake manifold, or just given up on a clogged EGR cooler. Hard to say when you don't DIY.

Attached Files:

#8 Mendel Leisk, Jun 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We oughta give you an award for how clean your engine is @Mendel Leisk

Sure hope whoever did this head gasket in a bad way is gonna make this right for you in a good way...

10. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    And another that has just been replaced, ignore the muck it's been particularly sandy and dusty lately around here. 20230607_065249.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update on this issue: shop did the work for free, gave me a loaner for a week. Said there was a defect in the gasket that caused leak into cylinder 1. After setting for nearly 7 days I took the chance to drive it and it never really gave me any trouble that was noticeable. Used 2-3 ounces of coolant on a 100 mile drive.

iPhone ?

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe a defect in the way it was installed. :whistle:
    Guess they didn't use a Toyota gasket???

At least they are going to fix it for you. Hopefully, they will do it correctly this time.

13. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It’s already done. I believe the shop uses all Toyota parts. I only say that because they showed me that first time I dropped my car off. I do wonder the same thing you are suggesting. But it is fixed now, so we will just move forward with that.

iPhone ?

ukulelegeek likes this.
  14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    oh, okay.... You made it sound like they were going to do it...

15. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nope, it’s done. Gave me a rental for week. I’m satisfied.

iPhone ?

ukulelegeek likes this.