1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head Gasket Leak????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by RedThunder45, May 12, 2020.

1. RedThunder45

RedThunder45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello all! Thanks in advance for your insight.

I've found many answers here over the years (and greatly appreciate that) but I cannot figure out what my 2010 is doing.

2010 Prius
    206k miles
    Recently replaced: spark plugs, coils, EGR, water pump, and PCV
    Installed oil catch can
    Cleaned: EGR cooler, intake manifold, MAF and MAP sensors

Issues:
    1) More often then not, the ICE misfires on startup at idle. Sometimes when accelerating from a stop also. This misfire lasts for about 2 to 7 seconds and then runs normally. No white smoke out of tailpipe. No coolant mixed in oil in cap or dipstick. Oil Catch Can does have a frothy mixture of oil and water although no smell of coolant. Seems to be just mixing with condensation in line to OCC probably. It does fill up very quickly however. Pretty much every gas fill up it is full....about 1/2 a cup or so.

I did remove plugs and run a scope down each to try and find coolant. It's only ever thrown a random misfire code and #3 misfire. #3 did look a good bit cleaner than the other pistons. Compression test showed within tolerance and no obvious compression failure. I have a chemical tester coming in tomorrow and will check to see if exhaust gas is present in coolant then as well. I'm thinking the new water pump running at correct pressure may have pushed a weak (small) part of the head gasket out and now there is a slow leak in #3 but haven't been able to verify it.

2) Twice now it has failed to start the ICE when battery runs low. I get in, turn the car on like normal, just idle, AC runs the battery down and it does not even try to turn the ICE on. The indicator goes to one bar left and I've waited a good while even and it never even tries to turn the engine. Turn the car off, turn it right back on and ICE immediately starts and charges battery, then off and resumes normal operation. Only twice has this happened in the last week or so but can't find a reason. First time, I put it in drive and tried to drive off only to have the car VERY slowly learch forward without trying to start the ICE.

3) ICE has stayed running while not charging battery or needing to run. I have owned this for 5 years now and am very accustomed to how it should cycle and this is definitely not normal operation. It'll run the whole time, when braking, at idle, acceleration, and coasting. Battery full. Has only done this a couple of times as well but still can't find a cause that is obvious. I suspected the HV battery and have not been able to have it checked out yet. Not showing any other signs of needing service though. Seems to hold charge well still.

Sorry for the long post!! I'm usually pretty good at combing through sites and extracting solutions but this puzzle has me stumped.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance ya'll!

20200511_175634.jpg 20200508165523.jpg 20200508172939.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any trouble codes on tech stream?

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    If you are not losing coolant then you are fine

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's evil-looking content in the Catch Can though...

5. RedThunder45

RedThunder45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't have a tech stream but happy to get one. I see what looks like one on Amazon for something like $80. Is that what you recommend or?

Yeah....Not sure what you should expect to have in it if not just oil but it's my first time installing one and does seem odd. Just a frothy mixture of oil and water from what I can tell.

#5 RedThunder45, May 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2020
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, but most here have reported around $25. perhaps prices have gone up

7. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Weak fuel pump taking longer to prime? A bad spray pattern from injectors could cause fuel dilution in oil leading to PCV problems...

I'd try some fuel system cleaner

Pixel XL ?

Raytheeagle likes this.