1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head gasket repair and now no start

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Josh Dalrymple, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Josh Dalrymple

Josh Dalrymple New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hello,
    Just finished replacing a bad head gasket and now car will not start. I disconnected the 12v battery and pulled the high voltage orange plug for about 4 weeks while the head was getting machined. Seems like everything went back together well. Getting several dash symbols when trying to start, like brakes and steering? Only code is. Historical one for cylinder 2 20221230_165434.jpg misfire (the reason I did the headgasket after confirming coolant in #2 with a borescope) I'm charging the 12v battery now as it turned very cold during the 4 weeks it was disconnected.

2. Josh Dalrymple

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    20221230_184841.jpg Got the car started, high voltage plug was not fully latched in. Now down to one warning light.

3. Josh Dalrymple

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Warning lamp went away after driving around the block. Seems good to go.

Mendel Leisk and CR94 like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on it? Have the EGR components and intake manifold been cleaned? See first couple of links in my signature (if on a phone turn landscape to see sigs).

5. Josh Dalrymple

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    192K miles, cleaned the intake manifold and EGR while doing the head gasket. Seems to run and warmup normally now. No more misfire codes either.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah if it finds fault, and then it's rectified, the warnings can persist for the next few start ups. Good they've all gone away.

I screwed up putting things together a few days back, and paid the piper yesterday:

I'd taken the intake manifold off, cleaned the PCV valve and my oil catch can setup, thought I'd got it all together, but neglected to connect hose from OCC to intake mainifold. So, a gaping vacuum leak.

Didn't take long after start up, for everything to go pear-shaped. Engine sounds sick, got "check hybrid system", yellow triangle and check engine light.

Found the problem, fixed it, toyed with disconnect of 12 volt to maybe reset, but opted to just get going. With all the aforementioned lights still on. At my first destination, turned it off and when I turned it back on "check hybrid system" was off. Next time, yellow triange went off. Third time, check engine light went off.