1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head gasket Repair. Need shop suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Danieley4, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Danieley4

Danieley4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I went into my Toyota dealership with a engine light p0203. Turns out I have a blown gasket. also Yes the coolant levels have been droping. They gave me two options which is to get the head gaskets replaced or get an engine swap, which would cost 3200 and 5000 respectively. Anyone have any good shop recommendation that I could take it to? I heard hybrid 911 has reasonable rates. Any other advice would be great. I am located near fresno California. But I could take it to socal shops if they have more experience or better rates! also any advice on anything else to look for? I would hate to get another engine and for the same problem to persist. also first post on here. So thanks in advanced.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

You can always try @Avi's Advanced Automotive in So Cal as he has done this job a time or two;).

Might be worth a private conversation or calling him up to chat about your specific situation (y).

Danieley4 likes this.
  3. Danieley4

Danieley4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks a lot. I was shocked when the agent came back and gave me the bad news. I gave Avi's a call but unfortunately they didn't answer. I will try again later! thanks a lot.

Greenteapri and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a member in here that went to Hybrid911 and they seemed pleased with the result, so there are options in SoCal:).

Another shop in SoCal is HybridPit, which @sfv41901 and @RightOnTime run. They might be able to help as well;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

5. JohnnyJavelin

JohnnyJavelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Danieley4,
    How many miles do you have on your car? Has the Toyota recommended maintenance been kept on schedule? and do you have records?
    I feel these "bad headgasket symptoms" are all on Toyota. No engine built in the last twenty years should need a head gasket job with under 250K miles on it

6. Danieley4

Danieley4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased the vehicle at 80k miles and I now have 135k. I have maintenance from when I bought it. Yes all of the Toyota recommended maintenance has been done with the last service being a full flush of fluids in December. I talked to the rep and he said he's seen this a couple of times. I wonder if the head gasket was due to negligence.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if that is why they updated the pistons in the 2015, after updating the rings in the 2014

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. JohnnyJavelin

JohnnyJavelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, no negligence on you nor the previous owners part. Only on Toyotas part . The clogged EGR cooler is causing spot overheating in the head. Toyota should man up and cover all these situations, at least till 150k~200k.
    Mine was diagnosed at 116k by the dealer. The service manager says its because Toyota uses them 'stretch to torque' headbolts.
    If that were the reason shouldn't we have them retorqued or replaced at 100K?, Just askin'

The Critic likes this.
  10. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is an interesting thought. Though, how would you know how much they have "loosened" since the torque spec isn't ft-lbs but 36 ft-lbs + 90º + 45º. So, i'd say if they have loosened, new bolts would need to be used. I think at this stage, keeping the EGR cleaned might prove to be more useful in delaying HG issues at 50k mile interval. But only time will tell as there aren't a lot of engines doing regular cleaning and surpassing an additional 200k miles (not saying there arent people doing it, just that its very few to get results that confirm the egr theory).

JohnnyJavelin and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm working on it. (y)

JC91006, Rebound and spiralhelix like this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The smart people would just get rid of their turd gen cars before 150k miles. After that, it's a roll of the dice. I just think it's a poor engine design.

I talked to the shop foreman at Longo Toyota, he said the earlier turd gen cars all will have burning oil issues or head gasket failures. It's just a matter of time. And on top of that, the HV battery will fail

The Critic likes this.
  13. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    not gonna disagree with that! Though 150k miles and I wouldn't have even had the car paid off yet. The rest of the car looks barely used for 7 years old. Yeah, i agree it's a matter of time and some would say, "Its a high mileage car, what do you expect!" But if keeping up with the EGR extends the life of an engine, then at least the owners have that to help mitigate older engine failures. I never thought about coming to this forum when we first purchased the car. Maybe it would have changed our minds, maybe I could have kept up with the EGR. Who knows. What is bothersome is talking to the dealers and them either acting surprised about it or blowing it off like we're a bunch of nut cases.

Strangely, I don't get too worked up about the HV battery. It's a battery, they have a definite lifespan regardless of how well you take care of it or even use it. When hybrids first came out, my fear wasn't if the battery goes, but when, how much was it gonna cost. I wanna say I remember something in the $8k-10k, thank goodness they were lasting 8ish+ years and the prices have definitely dropped significantly. $10k might as well buy a new car. $1-3k, that gives more life to the vehicle.

JC91006, The Critic and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed, and this is more/less the message I have been trying to relay.

JC91006 likes this.
  15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Every car fails at some point.
    At this point, I have 140,000 miles on my Prius and I haven’t had a single failure. I do maintain the car with great care, but everybody should. Seven years old, daily driver, and it’s solid as a rock.

JC91006 likes this.
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've stopped by Hybrid911 once to buy a part for my car. I saw a guy taking apart a HV battery in a attempt to fix it. What I saw was a module swap taking place. He was struggling a bit because he didn't seem to know the correct way to remove the battery case from the battery before doing work on it.

Although I don't have first hand experience with Hybrid911 repairs, just what I saw there would persuade me to continue DIY repairs.

17. Apatel1101

Apatel1101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One

I and few others on here have successfully swapped engine from 2016-2018 prius to 2010-2015 prius. It will require few modifications, which is not really big and any mechanic or diy-er can do it. This engines can be found at 1k range but if you go pick it up at lkq. They might get you lower price like in 850-900 plus core and tax. You get core back once u give them old engine.

Look at “fix that prius” on youtube. @Ragingfit @cnc97

Currently have 3k on new motor and averaging 55-58mpg depending on morning traffic. I once had 63mpg when i had my cruise on 60 mph for 40mile commute no traffic. I run amsoil in there. I used engine flush from amsoil before i added the new oil

#17 Apatel1101, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Ragingfit likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ragingfit likes this.
  19. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But if you buy an engine from LKQ or wherever, how do you know that it's not because the engine is shot that the thing ended up at LKQ?

20. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They come with a warranty.

Raytheeagle likes this.