1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head Gasket Replacement on Gen 3 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by prius@noob, May 14, 2022.

1. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update: didn’t want to waste Sunday so decided to proceed with timing cover installation and see what’s what.

Got the timing cover on, torqued most of the bolts, couldn’t torque some of them with the loaner too as it was too big to get in there, so tightened then with my wrench. Please let me know if that’s the wrong thing to do. I’ll find a slimmer torque wrench.

put on the water pump, oil filter housing, chain tensioner and harmonic balancer. Couldn’t torque the crankshaft bolt either due to accessibility. So used this power tool. Hope that does the trick. Again do let me know if that’s the wrong way to go.

Torqued the cam bolts after removing the wrench and the shop towels on the cams.

Spun the crank a little counter clockwise (said so in the repair manual) and then 720 degrees clockwise. The marks/notches were back up but didn’t see the colored links. So spun another 8 times until the notch on harmonic balance was at 0 degrees on timing chain. Now the links are back up but jumped teeth. The marks/notchs on the cams seem to be where should be. Please see pictures.

I guess I’m good to go? Another 2-3 hrs work left to put everything else back on. Seems straight forward from here.

Please correct me if I missed something. 1391A19E-EAC5-4359-B130-C762989B49B5.jpeg 9930104D-7421-485A-8340-7D15CA206CDC.jpeg

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After the initial installation, forget about the colored links.
    If the MARKS linded up, you're good.

prius@noob likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Being able to tell when the MARKS are lined up kind of requires you to know about some additional marks on the head and the backs of the sprockets, which somebody pointed out here in another thread a while back, but which aren't mentioned in the manual.

So if somebody just wants to rely on the marks that are shown in the manual, which are made to line up with the colored chain links, that's easy too. Just remember the painted chain links end up in their proper places every ninth time (in a Gen 3) they go by. Eight times in between they look wrong, which isn't any problem at all.

prius@noob, Foxglove and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Understood, the marks are lined up I think.

I think I read about the 9 times/70 rotations in this thread: Timing chain marks line up but don’t stay aligned after rotation | PriusChat

5. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update: The engine is all done. Took my time since I was a little anxious to get it right.

All that’s left to do is drapes the wires over and connect all the hoses. Which brings me to my question, is there a repair manual diagrams of all the hoses? Since a few in @Mendel Leisk pdfs, but don’t see all of them.

if there isn’t one, I’ll just have to watch the videos backwards and get them on. It’s good that they are all bendy and minimal, makes it easier.

also a little anxious to start it up… here goes nothing!

ToyXW likes this.
  6. Half Vast

Half Vast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have been following this thread. Good luck!

prius@noob likes this.
  7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As someone had stated in some thread, the camera is your friend. (y)
    If you start laying them out, you'll see they just about tell you where they go.
    But if you look at the video like you said, you'll see what and where they were removed.

#47 ASRDogman, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update: assembled egr cooler and all the hoses. Changed the oil filter, filled up oil and coolant.

noticed wet spot on the ground and went under to check. The coolant was leaking.
    Removed the tire again to check and noticed the leak from right under the water pump. (Please see pic).

could it be the water pump gasket? I reused old gasket as I didn’t find one in the kit and wanted to finish up this weekend? Ordered the new gasket and will pick up tomorrow. Also wanted to order the thermostat housing gasket but couldn’t find one nearby.

Or could the issue be water pump itself?

Oh boy, this is getting dragged out.

CE8D4926-F13E-47AD-8B7E-A820D3E7478C.jpeg

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You really can't, or shouldn't, reuse gaskets, just for this reason. If they were new, and never
    went through any heat/cool cycles you could get away with it.
    When I do the egr circuit cleaning, I replace all the gaskets. It cost about $20-25.
    It's worth the peace of mind!
    Go SLOW, check it carefully so you don't pinch it. Is it a new waterpump? Or original?
    If it wasn't leaking before, most likely the gasket.

I know you want/need to get it done quickly, but something you really need to go slower and
    make sure it's done correctly. It's usually the little things like that that will get you!!!

When I worked at the shops, I was slower on things like this, but I never had any comebacks!
    The guys that did it quick to make the money faster, almost always had to fix something.
    And they didn't get paid for it. Which means they lost money. And the service manager wasn't happen,
    because the customer wasn't happy!

prius@noob likes this.
  10. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did replace all the gaskets. Even hunted down the crankshaft seal as it didn’t come with the kit (had to drive 40 miles to get it). The only ones I reused would be for the water pump as it didn’t come with the kit.

the water pump is original. The only time I noticed the coolant leaking is before the entire Head Gasket replacement, so I think the pump might be fine. Conversely the pump might have gone bad around the same time as Head gasket issues started.

Is it prudent to put in the new gaskets, put some more coolant in and see if it’s still leaking?

11. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    #51 prius@noob, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No experience with the thermostat gasket, but that looks like the correct one for the pump.
    I get all my gaskets from Toyota. Then I know I'm getting the correct ones. The price is has
    been wihin a few cents of getting them elsewhere, for the most part.

You could fill with just water, run the engine for a few minutes and check. I wouldn't do it for long,
    or you'll have steam instead of coolant. Then dump the water and will with the correct Toyota Coolant.

prius@noob likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One issue with that, the spec'd coolant is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant, which only comes pre-diluted, to 50% (in the States, and 55% in Canada). It can be a bear to get back to a 50/50 mix after filling the system with water.

If you do go that route, maybe fill with Toyota Long Life Coolant, which is full-strength. Add 50% of system capacity, then top it off with distilled water. And drain/fill with TSLLC at around half the regular change spec.

prius@noob likes this.
  14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Too nit picky. So what if it's 45-55?
    If you REALLY want to get serious. Pull all the hoses, even the ones on the exhaust under the car,
    to drain all the coolant. And off the heater core. And run air through it for hours on end to completely
    dry it out. The fill it with the correct Toyota coolant.

No sense in putting the coolant in it and have it leak out. Then you are loosing money.
    Water is the least expensive way to find the leak, if it's not the gasket.

Mendel Leisk and prius@noob like this.
  15. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you both for the responses! I'll just fill it half way with the coolant and check for leaks. Don't want to take risks with coolant mixtures.

I did want to mention, I did not turn on the engine yet, noticed the leak right away as I was taking my 5 min break to refill the coolant (according to this blog post ).

Alternatively, I can fill with water, not turn on the engine and check for leak? If no leaks, drain water and refill with coolant?

ASRDogman likes this.
  16. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you fill with tap water, drain and fill with standard 50/50 you end up with about 25% antifreeze to 75% water. Two thirds of the water will have minerals and chlorine if it came from the tap. Not great on an aluminum engine, heater core or radiator. Its far from a death sentence but you can at least use $1.25 worth of distilled water to begin with and another $1 worth to mix with the concentrated coolant that you top off to finish.

Or just have faith that you can change the water pump gasket correctly this time and skip the water steps.

prius@noob likes this.
  17. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll replace the gasket, fill with coolant and check for leaks. Easier than worrying about coolant to water mixtures.

Btw, I was looked at this video for water pump inspection and must say the rotor on my water pump is not as freely moving as the good one, but also not as stuck as the bad one. Any thoughts?

18. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update:
    I do not know about this one guys. I might’ve screwed up somewhere. Replaced the water pump and the thermostat housing, that has stooped the coolant leak. Then I put the car in ICE mode to burp the coolant and noticed the engine vibrating. Came out to check and noticed smoke coming from the back side of the engine, tried taking a video but due to bad lighting I don’t think I caught it. Attached the videos anyway.

The coolant level dropped slightly, maybe it’s circulating, maybe it’s leaking back into the cylinders. But the smoke was excessive and it never happened before. Maybe I timed it wrong and pistons broke? Any ideas?

Feeling pretty hopeless and short of a miracle I think it’s engine replacement or bust.

#58 prius@noob, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  19. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    White smoke from the exhaust in the back of the car? Or oil burning off the exhaust manifold directly behind the engine? Coolant will drop some as it eliminates air.

20. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure. The lighting was pretty bad. Tried taking a video but, it isn't very clear. Here's the link to video: Smoke after HG replacement | PriusChat

I'll try again tomorrow, is there something I should be looking out for?