1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head Gasket Replacement on Gen 3 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by prius@noob, May 14, 2022.

1. prius@noob

prius@noob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @ToyXW I wonder if chain + tensioner is the only fix here.
    Seemingly the links are lining up, the TDC and cam marks are right.

Are there other issues I should rule out before considering replacing the chain/tensioner?

2. Alexikor

Alexikor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any follow-up since then?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    These engines tolerances are very tight so there's not very much swing from good to bad chain stretch and all that but usually if your marks are lining up and your chain is maintaining its path and tightness going around the sprockets you should be okay when I was dealing with timing chains and Toyota they lasted quite a long time even the plastic guides believe it or not did quite well I guess at some point there was a change in the plastic and chains got really small and dainty to keep up with the tight tolerances and tighter everything but still I mean these things are making 150,000 mi plus

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Apparently he parked it and bought another Prius. Later he tried to fix it in order to sell but found the hybrid battery bad.