1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head Gasket replacement - what to keep? replace?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TC Prius V, Dec 22, 2022.

1. TC Prius V

TC Prius V New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    V
    Working on a cylinder head gasket replacement. Limited experience as auto DIYer - no problems at this point. 155K miles, 2013 Prius V.

Head's out at machine shop and looks pretty good to them. Looking at parts and trying to figure out what to replace. Planning to get gasket kit, water pump (based on other threads), thermostat (while I'm there). Planning to clean intake manifold and EGR/cooler since I have time. Head bolts still in spec.

I have a Haynes Repair Manual. Timing chain length spec and my chain is 4.7 inches v. 4.54 in. max length per spec. Oil pump drive chain is 4.15" v. 4.02" max length per spec. Sprocket diameters are well within spec. Many good on-line videos but none of them discuss any concern for measuring or replacing either timing chain with cars at this mileage.

Would appreciate anyone's experience - replace chains necessary? How does the problem manifest itself if the chains do stretch too far?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t know what Haynes says, but Toyota’s Repair Manual (more info) gives the same procedure for both chain sub-assemblies: measure 15 links using a vernier caliper, with the chain pulled with a force of 147 N (33.0 lbf) using a spring scale, at three random places. If the average of the three measurements is greater than the specified maximum, the chain sub-assembly is to be replaced.
    Toyota’s Engine Service and Repair: Course 151 Technician Handbook says only, “If a timing chain is stretched, various engine timing issues may occur.” I’d assume the stated limits were set in view of both the capabilities of the chain tensioner and the likely further wear (elongation) before the next overhaul.

If you’re not in a hurry, rather than buying the chain sub-assemblies at the prices stated in catalog Figure 13-02, Camshaft & Valve, you could order them from an exporter in Japan at less than half the cost, even after international shipping. At this writing, the list prices are ¥9,600 for part number 13506-37070 (the original part for which 13506-0T020 is a locally-sourced U.S. equivalent) and ¥3,850 for 13507-28010. There are similar savings on the gasket kit and water pump, by the way.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Definitely do that. I believe it’s the main factor in 3rd gen head gasket failures. Cooler heads are sceptical; I’d prefer not to gamble.
    Again, to avoid gambling, especially as a DIY’r, just replace?

There’s some relevant links in my signature, for head gasket, EGR/OCC.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not many folks have had success with that. Its difficult to match the magic that happens at the assembly factory. Very difficult.

Based on what I have seen on this site in the last 15 years your much better off installing a used lower mile motor. Just my opinion based on the you know 15 years. Especially if you have limited experience and your resource is a Haynes manual which to be honest is silly.

At the least go on the TIS site and buy a 1 day subscription and print out the engine rebuild manual for this job. Its pretty big so get your printer ready.

here:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/appmanager/t3/ti?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=ti_home_page&goto=https%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.toyota.com%3A443%2Fagent%2Fcustom-login-response%3Fstate%3Drdrsp-cJY4FXabU1bpvimT1KO6w&original_request_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.toyota.com%3A443%2F

vvillovv likes this.
  5. TC Prius V

TC Prius V New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    V
    Thanks to all for your input. Going with new timing chains, tensioner with dealer that will give up to 27% off MSRP if order on-line since I need them next week. My daughter will drive maybe 10K/yr so I'm going to stick with the head gasket change. My labor plus less than $1,000 in parts. Everyone have a great holiday!

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I use PDFCreator to save paper then print to paper to bring to the car and work….