1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head gasket to blown engine. Replace engine or sell off. What would the sell off value be

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sbernardi, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Sbernardi

Sbernardi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The engine blew. 192k. Cant decide if it’s worth it to replace. Also what do the smarter people here think the value would be. 2012 leather, moonroof, heated seats, upgraded wheels, etc I don’t want to sell off parts myself.

thanks for any help.
    Located in Phoenix AZ

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Replace engine

davecook89t and SFO like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ever have a chance to clean up the EGR circuit in the last 192k? o_O

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Market price for a used engine installed can be high as $7K. I doubt you’ll find anyone to do it for less than $5k, at least not in my area.

Especially since you are in Phoenix, I would move on. The high temps of your area mean that your hybrid battery won’t live much longer, either.

5. GustoGuy

GustoGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow. I only spent $1,783 to have a JDM engine installed which I paid $1,149 for a total of $2,932. I had a reputable independent auto repair center replace may engine. I seldom go to the Toyota dealership since they tend to be outrageous on their pricing.