1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head Unit Connection Problems via Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ya-von, May 20, 2017.

1. Ya-von

Ya-von New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've had my '16 Prius 3 since September. The problem has been occurring since then, finally made an appointment for the dealer to find out why/fix, my iPhone 7 Plus or the BF's 6s Plus when connected via Bluetooth and turning off the car, then turning the car back on, the audio being streamed, from either Google, Spotify, or the Podcast app sounds sped up and skips/choppy. The way I work around it, is I disconnect my phone and then reconnect. I've tried unpairing phone from car and car from phone, not just disconnecting, but full on connecting as a new device, doesn't help. Another issue I've also been experiencing is my messages via the app on the head unit will not be read, the messaging app ALWAYS asks me to set up and even after setting up, I cannot read any messages from my phone through the head unit.

To make a long story short, the dealer called me and said my car is ready and Toyota advised them of a needed update that will fix the issue. Before I even left the lot, the head unit again does the same thing, speeds up and chops the audio being played through Spotify. The unhelpful employee tells me to make another appointment, while I am literally on their lot showing them my issue. Initially when the service advisor called to tell me my car was "fixed" he said if the problem persist I may need the head unit replaced.

Now my questions are, has this happened to any 2016 Prius owners, and how did you go about getting the problem fixed? Lastly, will it be an uphill battle to get the head unit replaced if updates cannot fix the issue?

TLDR; audio plays fast and skips/choppy when paired via Bluetooth. Anyone have this issue, what was their solution/outcome and will I get push back to get replacement head unit?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I don’t use Bluetooth, but since a few days have passed without other answers, I’ll offer some suggestions:
    • Make sure the dealer really updated the head unit with the latest software.

Under APPS > Setup > General > Software Update > Update, the Audio version should be 01018C or later. You can also see what updates have been installed under APPS > Setup > General > Software Update > Update History.

If you have newer software, please tell us. If you have older software, ask the dealer to actually do the update. They should refer to Toyota Technical Service Bulletin T-SB-0103-16, “Entune Audio Head Unit Software Update (Panasonic),” Revision 2 of April 4, 2017, or any later revision.

You could also install the software yourself, but downloading it requires a Professional Diagnostic subscription to techinfo.toyota.com ($55 for two days). The update is done using a USB flash drive, so you wouldn’t need Toyota’s Techstream diagnostic software or a vehicle interface cable.
    • Try some troubleshooting steps from the Repair Manual. In the section “AUDIO / VIDEO: AUDIO AND VISUAL SYSTEM: Noise Occurs or Sound Skips when Portable Player Plays,” Toyota suggests:

> 1. CHECK USING ANOTHER "Bluetooth" AUDIO COMPATIBLE VEHICLE OF SAME MODEL
      > 2. REMOVE ADDITIONAL DEVICES WHICH USE RADIO WAVES

If the trouble occurs in more than one vehicle, they blame the phone: “PORTABLE PLAYER IS MALFUNCTIONING.” This may not always be true, but few (if any) dealers have the training or equipment for in-depth field debugging of Bluetooth interoperability problems.

They’re also trying to eliminate possible sources of radio-frequency interference. If you have any other electronic devices in the car, even if they aren’t supposed to be radiating in the 2.4 GHz band used by Bluetooth, try removing them or turning them off completely, and see if the problem returns.
    • Verify that your phones and their software are on Toyota’s Entune Phone Compatibility List (6.5 MB PDF). For a 2016 Prius Three, see the section “Entune Premium Audio with Navigation & App Suite,” starting on page 154 of the PDF document.
    • Contact Entune Support (1-800-331-4331, press 1, then 3), and see if they can help. The call center may have information dealers don’t, and having a documented case history might make it easier to get a new head unit, if one is needed.
    As for replacing the head unit—assuming it’s not a software problem, of course, which a replacement wouldn’t fix—be aware that you could receive a refurbished one, as allowed by the warranty. The head unit, officially called the Navigation Receiver Assembly, is an expensive part (list price $4,777, though Toyota’s cost for an exchange unit would no doubt be lower), and I imagine dealers are encouraged not to replace them unnecessarily, but I’ve never had it done, so I can’t say how much arguing you’d have to do.

If you return to the dealer for more than a software update, and they say they can’t fix the problem, you might ask if they’ve opened a case with Toyota’s Technical Assistance System (TAS), the dealer-only support line. This is one indicator of a serious effort.

RCO likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They say to remove additional devices which use radio waves. That means uninstalling the smart key system??? :eek:

RCO likes this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’m sure Toyota and their suppliers have tested the built-in systems for electromagnetic compatibility. The idea is to remove any extraneous devices that might be radiating, intentionally or otherwise, in the 2.4 GHz band used by Bluetooth. (That leaky microwave oven running from an inverter in the luggage compartment has got to go...)

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  5. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a heads up Toyota now makes these updates available to everyone for free(just 3 weeks after I paid for them...). You can get them from securedp.toyota.com

Just put it on a fat32 USB put it in the car and do the update.

pilotgrrl, BruceInOKC and RCO like this.
  6. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, not an Android phone having the issue!

Check battery management settings on the device or within the app in question, that have something do with it, if it is not the car's software/hardware.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.