1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Head Unit Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by smalltimeart, Feb 17, 2017.

1. smalltimeart

smalltimeart New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi guys, i recently purchased a 2016 Prius Four Touring. I love almost everything about it. The one drawback is the head unit. The JBL sound is great, however the bugginess and poor navigation/voice recognition are just intolerable. I'd like to replace it with another Double Din head unit. Has anyone done this on their own and had good results? I read one thread where they replaced the head unit with a Pioneer but didn't see if there were any pitfalls or if it was a DIY install.

Crutchfield and most other sites show that nothing fits the Prius. Does it take a standard double din but require some special mounting hardware?

Thanks guys!

2. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should work as long as the unit only runs audio stuff. Plug and play kit is what you get

the bat cave

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Before you give up on the factory head unit, have you made sure it has the latest software?

The available update might or might not fix the problems you’ve encountered, and it won’t make any fundamental improvements in the user interface or capabilities, but it could be worth a try, and your dealer should be able to install it at no charge. As described in Toyota’s Technical Service Bulletin T-SB-0103-16, Rev. 1 (October 14, 2016):

Some 2016 – 2017 model year applicable vehicles equipped with Entune™ Audio (version 01013E) / Entune™ Audio Plus (version 010156 or 01015C) / Entune™ Premium Audio (version 010171 or 010170 or 01017D) may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:
    • Head unit rebooting at a specific location
    • Abnormal destination search operation
    • Rebooting caused by no songs on the USB connected iPhone
    • One time reboot after ACC-ON
    • Audio stays muted after the key is cycled
    Some 2016 – 2017 model year applicable vehicles equipped with Entune™ Audio (version 010144) / Entune™ Audio Plus (version 01015E) / Entune™ Premium Audio (version 010182) or earlier may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:
    • Intermittent head unit rebooting
    • Half blank screen when on maintenance screen and shifting to reverse
    • Screen freezing during incoming phone call
    • Incorrect time in the diagnostic menu
    • Radio station information doesn’t match radio station that is playing
    • Abnormal playlist browsing operation
    • Mute stays enabled after key cycle
    • “Search along my route” is inoperative
    • Improper scaling of traffic data
    • Unit missing from distance to destination (showing 11 instead of 11mi)
    • MID compass doesn’t match navigation screen when switching to North up
    • Navigation doesn’t match MID when switching from miles to kilometers
    • Speed limit is blank on navigation screen
    • “Go” button on VR screen is inoperative
    Updated system software is now available to address these conditions. Follow the Software Update Procedure in this bulletin to install the latest software version.

If you prefer, you can download the new software yourself with a Professional Diagnostic subscription ($55 for 2 days) to techinfo.toyota.com. The head unit software is updated using a USB drive, so you don’t need a data link cable. If you subscribe, you would also be able to view and save the wiring diagrams, system descriptions, and installation and removal procedures for the factory audio system, so you’ll have a better idea of what would be involved in connecting any new components.

smalltimeart and RCO like this.
  4. smalltimeart

smalltimeart New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That's an awesome resource! i'll definitely have to check out the tech info. it will definitely save me some hassle.
    My biggest gripe with the unit is just that it's definitely half assed. You can tell that this wasn't at the top of their list in the design department. It's slow, the voice recognition hardly works, and as a tech/designer (weird combo, i know) i'm super unimpressed. It's not a bad system, and probably does fine for most folks, but i'm just a whiny brat haha.

RCO likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. They seem to have advanced the front end design without improving any functionality.....
    .. and I'm being generous about the functionality