1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlamp Cable failure?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 2bad, Sep 22, 2017.

1. 2bad

2bad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird thing - My left headlamp low beam went out around Christmas. High beams worked fine. The bulbs were good when I pulled them out. So, I got it to come back on by wiggling the wire. Ok, guess I got lucky there. So a month ago, the right side went out and the left was till good. The little bulb above the main low beam bulb WAS burnt out. I changed it and it came back on, but the main low-beam bulb does not come on. I bought a new one and installed it. Stlll doesn't come on. I wiggled the harness a lot like I did on the other side. No help. I've tried to follow the harness down into the car with my hand and looking from above. But it becomes impossible to visualize it pretty quickly. I hate to take this thing in just to have a wire replaced because they can't tell me if it's going to cost $75 or $385. Any suggestions? I can tear the whole front end off to get down follow the wire down and put a continuity tester on every connection but I'm trying to find a shortcut here. Are there any diagrams to show exactly where the wire goes. I can only see the headlamp end. I don't know where it connects on the other end.

I also hit a little piece of 2x4 on that side and it broke my fender liner. Then I had to reconnect the wire up from the hub so the cruise control and ABS would work again. But I didn't see anything that would suggest a problem with the headlamp. ??? Any ideas? Thanks!