1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlamp: Suitable for vehicle repair, as well as hiking, camping, canoes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Jul 10, 2017.

1. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First: Replace the helmet. NEVER reuse a bike helmet that's been involved in a crash - virtually none of them are certified for multiple impacts.

As for the computer: Just get whatever Cateye computer. Hell, a cheapo Bell from WalMart probably does everything you need for like $12. I figure start with a whatever cheap one, maybe upgrade later to something with an heart rate measurement, then much much later maybe to one with full ANT+ network for the power meter, cadence, and GPS. Now that I think about it, a smartphone mount with a bluetooth speed sensor might be a good option (because Strava can be fun) too.

tochatihu likes this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Helmet thing is correct.

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no problem on the "hijack," I also bike, just not as agressively as you folks.
    I have gotten into canoe travel lately. My father was a big fan in Minnesota where my Nordic ancestors apparently settled to cut trees and wrestle moose before they came West.

As my grandfather said here in Oregon, he was an Oregon sharecropper. He shared his crop with the deer, the elk, the bear, the raccoons....

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Love the 'sharecropper' line!
    I'll remember that the next time I plant a garden.

@ GTMO, excellent point.
    I was 'deployed' TO, rather than incarcerated IN GTMO.
    Frankly....in 03/04 this was a distinction without much of a difference, excepting that my people typically lost weight and 'others' gained weight.
    I wore green, while the detainees famously wore a different color.
    I wasn't involved in detainee ops, since that was an Army gig....

The thing about GTMO is that (back then) everything on the base had to be delivered by a dot.gov contractor.
    Also.....99.44 percent of the people who leave the base do so by air which means that bulky things are usually abandoned in place or (more traditionally) handed down to the person who relieves you.
    Thusly...I was gifted with a $100 Walmart bike, along with a mandatory helmet, and reflective vest.....green in color, since you want to be VERY careful about wearing an orange one on an island where the US Army uses guard dogs and the US Navy uses Marines to guard prisoners clad in orange jumpsuits.
    The Army is older.....so they got to pick first. ;)

In the year that I was @ GTMO I probably logged over 1,000 miles on the bike, since one of my favorite activities to 'get away from it all' would be to take the ferry to the leeward (western) side of the island and spend the day riding, sunbathing, and being away from it all.
    Since the base is bisected by THE Guantanamo Bay it was the closest thing to a 'real' getaway that didn't involve getting orders off the island.
    Even though you're reachable by tactical call phone on the leeward side, you're still a ferry ride away which means that you might as well be on the other side of the planet if somebody has an "urgent" problem.
    I spent as much time on the Leeward side as my conscience would allow, since everything BAD happens on the Windward side (aptly named!!)

@ bicycle helmet
    Concur....but this is a dragon that I will slay after builders trials. I'm an ATGATT rider on motorcycles....meaning All The Gear, All The Time. Thusly, my dinged helmet will be replaced by a another one as soon as time allows.
    The helmet I have now will serve as an applique to keep some busybody from sneering at me for being an apostate, and to serve as a good example for the kids (those under 50) in the neighborhood.

@ PC
    Also concur.
    Since I already have a cell phone and a fitness tracker, getting a cycling computer that's priced in the "Kris' flashlight" range would be swinging after the bell.
    Fortunately.....many cyclists are convinced that wired=uncool when it comes to sensors, and thus some very highly rated and durable cycling computers (Sigma & Cateye) have that "flip phone" vibe and been relegated to the bargain bins.

Update.....post "database error" storm.

Bike arrived today.
    Sourcing a (#$%@*!!) Presta to Schrader converter.
    I also found out that one of the bicycle 'puters I was interested in actually calculates a "carbon offset."

*sigh*....

#24 ETC(SS), Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got home from work early and put together the headlamp -- they finally managed to find City Hall and delivered it yesterday.

The rubber gasket that seals out water from the battery case was loose in the clamshell pack that the light came in.

I had no problem, since I had a close cousin to this light previously. But, I would image some folks might think it was some sort of stray rubber band. And they might have thrown it away. I tucked it away in the groove in the battery case and then installed 4 AA Duracells and turned on the light.

It is blinding at 350 lumens. I think my earlier model was 180 lumens. I will be anxious to "see" how well it works tonight in the Oregon woods. My dog is a funny beast. We often hike in the dark. And, especially on moonlit nights, without lights at all.

Usually the hound runs some 30 to 60 yards ahead of me....but on rare hikes, she will come back to me and stay right at my side for five minutes or so. I always wonder what she knows is nearby (cougar, bear, bunny rabbit) and if I am supposed to be protecting her, or she is protecting me.

kris

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "if I am supposed to be protecting her, or she is protecting me" This is 'and' not 'or'. Wolf pack.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got you. Now I have to learn to howl...I have a coyote yip down pretty much, though...

8. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Got one of these:
    Seca 1800 Bike Light - Light & Motion

You need light? On a bike or anywhere else? That'll do. Cars flash their lights to make me dim the thing when it's used on the handlebars, it is that bright. It also fits on a helmet, but have never used it that way. Comes with a very nice hardshell zippered case. Light In Motion makes higher lumen versions too. Crazy stuff.

I also use a 70 lumen Petzl headlight for getting in the house if the wife doesn't turn the back porch light on (I work nights). And around the house as well. The red light in it is perfect if I'm doing a night shoot (photography), or just get up in the middle of the night and need to pee and I don't want to burn out my eyeballs with the normal white ceiling lighting in the hallway or bathroom. The Petzl might be the best purchase I ever made as it gets used daily. I have rechargeable AAA's in it.

#28 DavidA, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "Petzl might be the best purchase I ever made..." @28. Transmit your enthusiasm to the company because mfrs. need words from the street - but not posted here in internet backwater.

What an interesting and distractive topic though - what for any of you was best purchase?

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As per the title of this thread...
    Headlamp: Suitable for vehicle repair, as well as hiking, camping, canoes

The suggestion I made in post #4 is the last one you will ever need...short of losing one. Buy 2 of those specific batteries and the D2 charger if your needs are less demanding...but you always need a back-up battery. Folks, get what you like/want, but "most" of those being discussed here are consumer grade junk for about the same price.

Just saying...we've tried them all...and we depend on ours to make a living.

RCO and cyberpriusII like this.
  11. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was actually tempted by that light and would have done more research into it. Two reasons I did not and returned to the light I used to use:

1) Familiarity. I am used to the light I ended up buying because I had it before and I know it's shortcomings and it's pluses. In addition, the new model has 350 lumens, which has turned out to be a bit of overkill for me, but luckily there is a lower light option.

2) I basically got the new light for free, so the price was hard to beat.

The Prince Tec has been pretty solid for me. It's failure was my fault, not the lights. It probably would have lasted another 10 years except for that pack of roving MS13 members who grabbed it away and used it for a pinata. :ROFLMAO:

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My yearly subscription to PC? :D

RCO likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You pay to suffer these web site database outages?? :eek:

RCO likes this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Relax, he got 99% off the advertised cost for his year's subscription up front! :ROFLMAO:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's cheaper than my cell phone.....and it's up most of the time.

frodoz737 likes this.
  16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My phone is up most of the time but I would say Prius Chat is not. :(

RCO likes this.
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle: