1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight aim is not good...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by marynell, Jul 20, 2008.

1. marynell

marynell New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    (I wasn't sure where to post this question- hope this is ok!)

I drove my new Prius last night and found the aim of the headlights was not good- it seemed too short or something. I live in Tennessee where it is hilly and going both uphill and downhill, I couldn't see far enough ahead, compared to my Sienna. Any ideas?:confused:

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This sounds normal. The HID lights in the Prius have a very sharp cutoff to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. The proper aim feels a little low when you are used to other headlamps. You can have them adjusted if you want, just keep other drivers in mind.

There is one problem that can cause bad headlight aim. The auto-leveling system can fail and have the headlamps point up or down too far. I doubt this is your problem, but it is easy to check. Turn on your headlamps, point them at a wall, set your parking brake, then get out and walk around to the back of your Prius. Stand on the bumper. Your weight will cause the light pattern on the wall to rise. In about two seconds the auto-leveling system will move the pattern back down. Get off the bumper and the process should reverse.

Tom