1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Assembly Housing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Angelo, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys, I will be brief. I replaced my driver side ballast and headlamp assembly due to condensation and moisture problems we are all aware of. It runs great now.

However my Passenger side headlamp (never had a problem) but is yellowing and looks obviously dingy compared to the new headlamp housing. These lights are HID.

I've already had the oxidized headlamp, buffed, cleaned, polished, and sealed. This made it look better but 6 months later we are right back at looking like well you know.

I want to buy a new assembly for that side. Can I just buy the housing, some on amazon go for $50-$75 which is great! The physical assembly does it matter HID or not? I have all the hardware and just need the housing. Are they specific? If so can I get a HID housing for a good price? Do you guys have any recommendations?

Example:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The aftermarket lights are of inferior quality compared to OEM, they will have issues where the clear coating will flake off after a short time. This will be much uglier than what you're facing now.

If you're going to buy another one, you might want to just get a new one. Or continue cleaning the one you have....but more often so it doesn't get the yellow buildup

3. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay I see your point, so then on amazon expect what about $150 for just the housing thats reputable?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only reputable one would be a dealer part. You can check online sites if you have the part number.

I use Camelback Toyota in Arizona. Parts.camelbacktoyota.com

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A