Headlight Bulb Upgrade to LED

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by dionb85, Jun 11, 2018.

1. dionb85

dionb85 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi guys. Long time listener, first time caller here. Pretty new owner of a brand spanking new (haha) 2012 Prius V (wagon). It has the standard headlights in it. I want to upgrade all the front headlights (brights, lows, and running lights) to LEDs. I want the look of LEDs (better sight), not doing it for energy saving.

Questions for all you brilliant prius-ers:

1) Has anyone does this sort of upgrade?
    2) What options are available? Especially in regards to LED headlights, NOT HID kits
    NOTE: Looking to stay on the cheaper side (less than $300 total for all three sets of lights)

I welcome any and all recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

2. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You would be wasting your time and money. Slapping in questionable quality LED bulbs into headlight units meant for halogen bulbs isn't going to produce results that are close to the 2015-up Prius v Five/ATP OEM LED headlights with automatic beam leveling and Auto High Beam - those were the very first headlights to earn the IIHS highest rating.. The 2012-2014 Prius v Five/ATP factory installed LED auto eveling headlights might have received the highest IIHS rating if they had had Auto High Beam.

Even if LED headlights are OEM from the factory, it doesn't mean they are going to be decent. Plenty of OEM LED and HID headlights tested by the IIHS are rated Poor or Marginal: IIHS-HLDI: Crash Testing & Highway Safety