1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Bulb Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 13Prius3, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 13Prius3

13Prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    after tinting my wife's windshield on her new Prius 3 i find myself wanting more output from the factory headlights. can someone "recommend" a good quality "better" bulb than the factory ones? i am looking to replace the low and high beam bulbs. i'm not interested in upgrading to full on HID's or a conversion, i just want a better bulb. post up your opinions...

2. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Search ebay for same spec. PIAA bulb,US design,made in japan, but highter intensity, say 4000-5000K. will make you happy.

3. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought these Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra's and I'm pretty happy with them.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My opinion is that the windshield should not have been tinted. ;)

xpcman likes this.
  5. 13Prius3

13Prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you knew how much heat came thru the windshield and how many UV rays come thru you'd change your opinion...

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Perhaps it's your opinion that should be changed. The factory windshield already has a 100% UV cut rate along with 55% solar heat rejection.

It's not bad if you stick with Llumar Air Blue or equivalent to cut down on the heat even further, but applying anything darker to the windshield is downright moronic.

xliderider likes this.
  7. 13Prius3

13Prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I'm a moron because I like something different than you? Thought this forum would be different than all the others? Seems like there are just as many kindergartners here as the others.

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I replaced my fogs (the same size as your low beams) with PIAA bulbs--see post below for details:
    Replaced Turn Signals, Fog Lights, High Beams, Parking Lights & Rear License Plate Bulbs | PriusChat

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yuuup.

10. 13Prius3

13Prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good thing i didnt ask your opinion on whether or not i should have tinted my windshield. If yall dont want to tint yours thats your choice. I tint windows for a living and i prefer all my stuff to be tinted. Thanks to the guys who actually commented on what the post was about. I will look into the PIAAs.

EGGS likes this.
  11. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To the guy with a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not a matter of liking something different. You're putting yourself at risk and endangering others. A forum member had dark tints on his windshield and admitted that he almost ran someone over. Fortunately, he was a few states away from me.

It is, however, your choice if you want to spend quality time with Bubba and his bad breath.

13. 13Prius3

13Prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ours isnt dark at all. At least not to us. We can see just fine at night even with the stock headlights. I was just wanting something a little better. Having tint on my windshield is no more unsafe than all the jackasses who drive and talk on a cell phone or worse, have ear buds in their ears listening to their ipods instead of the car stereo. I didnt ask for opinions on tint. I asked for opinions on bulbs. If you dont have anything knowledgeable to contribute, stay out of this thread. Simple as that. Have a nice day

14. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In most states its illegal to tint the windshield unless you have a medical need. To each his own. I bought the Philips Ultra vision for the low beams. I have them in all my cars. The light it slightly whiter with a hint of Blue.

15. 13Prius3

13Prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    it is illegal in our state too. but you hit the nail on the head. unless there is a medical exemption. my wife in fact has that exemption because of how her eyes dilate with oncoming headlights. yes, there are lighter tint shades out there that will help with this issue for her. but for her actual problem, we have found, thru many years of trial and error, that the 45% range is perfect for her. it is not too dark, and yet it reduces the glare a whole lot. while 45% may be too dark for some people. it is perfect in this particular situation. fortunately for us, with me tinting windows for a living, it doesn't cost me anything to test different shades with the exception of the film cost itself. which is minimal to say the least.

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't found a significant difference using the aforementioned PIAAs over stock bulbs so HIDs are pretty much the only way to go if you want better lightning.

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a pending legal case here in Hawaii where a guy driving a BMW late one night hit and killed a young college student in a marked crosswalk. To make matters much worse, the driver failed to stop and render aid to the young woman. They apprehended the driver eventually. Later, I saw a news clip of the vehicle being towed into police evidence and noticed that the vehicle had dark tinted headlights. Uh oh.

Tinted headlights, tinted windshields, similar problem, reduced visibility for the driver. Something to think about. Or, in your case, probably not.

You mentioned a medical problem your wife has, after initially stating only the heat and UV benefits of tinting windshields. Your wife may be ok if she has some kind of medical clearance, but you would not. Your wife could also wear a pair of lightly tinted cosmetic sunglasses at night to help her with the glare issue.

18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    And the OP could tint 'em!

19. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Decent HID's (complete kit including (2) ballasts, (2) bulbs, etc..) are under $150 now- and will take 30min or less to install.
    Problem solved...

20. 13Prius3

13Prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks for the opinions on what i should do to OUR car. i appreciate all the concerns regarding my window tint. the good thing about AMERICA, at least for the time being, is that i have a right to do what I want to do to my vehicles. yes, i could potentially get a ticket for having a windshield tinted. not likely though, seeing how every car i have owned in the last 10 years has had the windshield tinted. but nonetheless, my windshield being tinted is not that uncommon here where we live. i appreciate the safety concern as well. but no one is in anymore danger by my windshield being tinted than they are if they simply walk out the door of their home. thanks for showing me that most of you guys are just like the posters on other forums and just want to hate on someone. i will spend very limited on this site because of you. maybe that's what you guys were going for? if so, Congratulations!