1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight burn-out bug and upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2017.

1. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So apparently my 2011 has the headlight burn-out bug. When I bought it in November last year the passenger side low beam was burned out. Replaced it with Sylvania Ultra. I think it was early December driver's side went out, so again Sylvania Ultra went in. This morning looked at the reflection in the car in front of me at the stop light and &^$% driver's side headlight out again!

But, that's OK, I've been looking for justification for the upgrade. So I ordered OPT7 Bolt AC 55W AC HID kit in 5000K H11 bulb and went ahead and added the anti-flicker power relay. Now, I just have to suffer with my OCD when it comes to burned out light bulbs for a few days. I've got the fog lights if the other headlight should go out at the worst time.

Bolt AC Series: 55w HID Kit - OPT7

Hopefully this weekend I'll be posting some photos!

Now - am I correct in my thinking that the AC Inverter Ballast will not be affected by the headlight burn-out bug?

#1 NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got an Opt7 35w AC kit in my Camry with a dual relay setup.

The 2011 Prius has a different kit, but also setup with a dual relay HID harness. No problems whatsoever so far.

Why the dual relay? On a one relay harness, if the relay goes bad, both lights don't work. On a dual relay setup, if a relay goes bad, one headlight remains lit.

I didn't care for the Opt7 5000k color temp, too blue for me, so I got these in 4300K:

1490636672623.png

I have them in both cars and they're great. Better quality bulbs. If you order from them, make sure you tell them you need the H11 bulbs with the ground wire opposite the large tab on the base or they'll send you a bulb that will give you ground shadows.

One last thing, why 55w? 35w is plenty bright, it's about 3x brighter than the oem halogens. Going with 55w will put out a lot of foreground glare right in front of the vehicle, which will constrict your irises and decrease your night vision. The same reason why you don't use highbeams in fog, the light will glare off the fog and blind you or decrease your vision. Also, I don't think you'll be blocking your squirrel finder cutouts? Leaving them unblocked will allow even more glare with the 55w ballasts for other people to deal with.

Here is a link to the dual relay HID harness I have in the Prius:

DDM HID Xenon Conversion Kit Dual Relay Harness Dual In Dual Out, Fit All Bulbs | eBay

#2 xliderider, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  3. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info, xliderider! Having started my military career in the Army and setting up tents and sites at night, I can understand what you are saying about the brightness of 55w v. 35w. I'll have to see what it looks like, I hope I didn't make a mistake. Can I use the same bulbs and just switch the ballast if they are too bright?

Where do you mount the ballast? I watched a video that had them mounted to the backside of the plastic piece beside the fuse box. I don't think I got slim ballasts, so I hope the regular size ballasts fit in there unless there is a different place for them. I sure didn't see any other place, I was originally going to come up from underneath and see about mounting the ballasts under the headlights, like behind the turn signals/fog lights until I saw the video.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For those following along at home, Sylvania Ultra is one of the "premium" bulbs designed for higher-than-spec light output at the expense of lower-than-spec life (accomplished by designing for a slightly-lower-than-spec voltage; essentially, these bulbs are constantly overvolted in use).

The Prius has a pretty steady system voltage near the high end of what would be considered normal. There may be some Prii with a wire-harness issue compounding the problem (the subject of T-SB-0204-12), but it's probably the case that just about any "premium" incandescent will be eaten pretty fast in just about any Prius.

Sylvania makes standard bulbs too, which will last longer. They're just usually on the lowest row of shelf hooks, down by your ankles, where the store owner hopes you won't see them.

-Chap

5. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, but this bulb is 4 months old. So lets say 3 hours per day and 125 days that only 375 hours! And I know I didn't come close to 3 hrs per day, every day. I've modded the front turn signals with LED switchbacks for DRLs and the parking and side marker lights with LEDs so I keep the parking lights on all the time while driving and use the headlights only when required for night time or rain more than a drizzle.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well? The design life for a standard Sylvania Basic H11 is 270 hours. Same figure for the Ultra H11 is 150 hours:

[​IMG]

Both of those figures assume 12.8 volts at the bulb. I measured 13.82 at the bulb in my Gen 3 ... figure in the roughly thirteenth-power inverse relationship of life to voltage, and the Basic is doing well to last about 100 hours; the Ultra is already on borrowed time at 57.

-Chap

7. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for that spec, I was looking for that online and couldn't find it! Looks like my mistake - but with the HIDs, I'll get the good headlights and should last me for a couple years!

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have them mounted under the metal bumper structure, so they're not in the hot engine bay, and in front of and away from the radiator.

I use extensions like these to mount the ballasts.

2 pcs 36" 3 ft HID Extension Wire For 35W & 55W Ballast and Xenon Bulbs | eBay

There are also extensions available if you need to extend the H11 to H11 connector to the ballast too.