1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Fix - Is there one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JLacy76, Mar 5, 2018.

1. JLacy76

JLacy76 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The number one complaint on Carcomplaints for the gen 2 are headlights burning out more frequently than they should.

What's the fix for this?

Thanks!

2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the problems are mainly with the ones that have HID lights. Sometimes the solution is found in replacing the bulb, ballast, fixture or any combination of all three. Sometimes even that doesn't solve it as it is probably just a bad design. There are people who are solving the problem by converting their HID lights to LED setups. It's not as easy as just changing the bulbs, though. There are a lot of threads about the headlights throughout these Gen. 2 forums. A simple search will find them.

Are you having problems right now or are you just worried it could become a problem? Many people, I would guess a vast majority of Prius owners, never have a problem. Otherwise Toyota would not have been able to avoid being forced to recall the cars and change the lights.

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have experience with Gen 2 HID headlights and it was the number one problem I had with the car. I you are a DIY type person and once you learn how to change the bulbs even though they are not cheap it is something you can live with. The worst case scenario is the ballast goes bad and is located in the bottom of the headlight assembly buying and changing it will add to your education and is also DIY doable.
    The ballast sets at the bottom of the headlight assembly and if there is water getting into it can short out the ballast. I was part to blame for my headlight problems because I always had them on even in the daylight. I didn't have the first one go out until 35,000 miles. Troubleshooting is easy, change the light bulb and if that doesn't fix it change the ballast.

When I say the HID headlights were my number one problem I must say that is because I almost had zero problems with the rest of the car.

srellim234 likes this.
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you for explaining your experience. Sounds like you are one of those who lost that lottery.

I had to replace the assembly, bulb and ballast on the driver's side in January after 131,000 miles when it began taking on water in a rainstorm. Before that, no problems.

padroo likes this.
  5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, actually I won the lottery. I don't play the lottery and have never lost any money and my Prius was good to me so I bought a new one in November.

srellim234 likes this.
  6. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do guys know what is the power consumption of the original gen 2 HiD headlights?
    Do you also know if its originally equipped with a headlight relay
    What I'm getting at is If I ever plan to change mine (in the future) to halogen, and the new headlight is 45-55 watts, I will need to install a headlight relay and I'm not sure if the original has one. I notice that the wirings in the original factory are thin

7. broski

broski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Power consumption is same or ever so lightly less. I ran 90/100w bulbs in my last Prius that was converted from HID to halogen with no issues for a couple years before I sold it. Wouldn't worry about it.