1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mbolzies, Jan 31, 2013.

1. mbolzies

mbolzies Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey all— I have a 2010 Prius II. So, one of my headlights went out and the dealership indicated it would cost between $250 and $350 to get a single headlight replaced. So, I'm planning to replace it myself, but I need to know what the "stock" bulb model and make is— (it's freezing out and I don't feel like removing the burnt one to figure it out before I get the new one).

Can anyone offer any suggestions or help?

The guy at the dealership asked if my 2010 Prius had the HID bulbs or not. I told him I didn't know, but I thought he should know. At any rate, I'm pretty sure that was standard on the 2010— so I'm assuming I need a HID bulb. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A Prius II uses H11 halogen bulbs. They are under $15/pair at Walmart. You can replace them yourself in minutes - I've done it several times.

iPhone ?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved out of the Prius v forums to the gen III appropriate forum.

Only a Prius V in 2010 had LED headlights, and the II, III and IV had halogen. As mentioned, no Gen III has HID and they should know that quite frankly.

5. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yep, this is another example of why you should always be skeptical of anything this Ding-Dong Dealer has to say.

Sounds like the parts department has been studying with the sales team.
    " You know how to tell if a car salesman is lying?................."

H 11 bulbs are available at any auto parts store and you'll have a choice of quality/price.

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Remarkable. :eek:

I would run away from that dealer as fast as possible, and find an honest / knowledgeable one. As others indicated, you have halogen headlights, replacement bulbs for ~$15, easy DIY replacement.

7. HLF-DZN

HLF-DZN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just bought a 2010 this past week, and noticed the passenger-side low-beam was out. I replaced the bulb with a Sylvania XtraVision and everything worked fine, but the new one was out the next day. I thought I was careful with the bulb - holding it with a paper towel, etc.

Any suggestions before I go and start wasting more bulbs? A certain brand or model # that you have had more success with? A better way to handle the bulb? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check your connection.

9. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, look for burnt looking sockets at the connector, and a good tension on the bulb as you press it into the sockets.
    The 'Irish' auto parts store I deal with says there is a 1 year warranty on those fancy bulbs.
    Take it back and see if they will give you a new one. Maybe you just got a bad one....
    It sounds like you are using a good procedure installing the bulb.

10. HLF-DZN

HLF-DZN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. The bulb was not out after all. Apparently I didn't get it locked into position and it popped out. That spot is really difficult to get to (on the passenger side) if you have big hands. It was me that failed...not the bulb!

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ;) We've all been there before.