1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight High Beam Question

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, Nov 15, 2022.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Edit: Thanks for your answers, that did it!

I'm going to have to try to find my owners manual but maybe someone can answer this.
    For some reason I CANNOT keep the high beams on. Is there a reason for this?

At night I turn on the lights. For temporary high beams I can horizontally push the stick towards the driver and high beams will come on (temporarily), but in the direction towards the driver it doesn't "lock" in place, it's just for a short high beam, and as soon as one lets go the light control stick goes back to the center position. This is all normal.

However, if I try to push the light control stick horizontally the other direction (away from the driver), it will lock in place -- but with NO HIGH BEAMS (NO difference at all between that position and when the stick is in the center position).

This is for the 2017 "Plus" (basic) trim, so it might be different from the higher trims, but I'm just wondering if something is wrong or not. More than once I've been driving late at night in rural areas where I wanted the high beams but moving the stick from center position to away-from-driver position makes no difference. Only moving it towards the driver (which is only temporary, as it doesn't stay in that position when you let go) does the high beams. But it's dangerous to drive with one hand having to hold the light stick towards you constantly while driving if you need high beams.

Am I missing something here? There's no difference between the light stick being in the "center" position and the "away from driver" position!

#1 stevepea, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The forward light control position is for Auto for the High beams. You have to make sure the rotary selector is on Auto on the light control stalk.

stevepea likes this.
  3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Auto is enabled with a button left of the steering column and down low along with a host of other buttons. Make sure that is turned off. There should be a indicator on the Multi Information Display telling you whether it's enabled or not.

stevepea likes this.
  4. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Do you have auto high beams? There is a slight delay between switching them on with the stalk and them deciding there isn't oncoming traffic or tail lights ahead. On the left side where the dash dimming switch is should be a auto high beams button. You can turn it off and your headlight stalk will act normally

stevepea likes this.
  5. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Two different things. Auto on the rotary light selector on the stalk is both automatic-headlights-on or off and daytime running lights.
    Auto high beams push button down near your left knee is the automatic high & low beams that is probably causing Steve's concerns.

drash and stevepea like this.
  6. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks! It was that "Auto" button by the left knee. Completely forgot about the thing. Must have hit it by accident while fumbling for the charge timer button or gas tank open button at some point