1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. PruisPlurality

PruisPlurality Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am having an issue with the headlights on my 2008 Prius and just want to confirm a hunch based on some research here before I spend more money on new headlights.

The problem: Bought new halogen bulbs from AdvanceAuto less than 6 months ago. Today the driver side headlight bulb turned off randomly. I switched bulbs and neither side worked. I switch them back to their original locations and moved the wires around and suddenly they both worked. Later in the day both bulbs turned off and I have not been able to get them to work again. Fuses are fine.

The solution?: Based on my research it seems that I went too cheap on the bulbs and 2nd Gen Prius require expensive HID lightbulbs. However, I am not confident in this solution and would prefer to be somewhat confident before buying expensive light bulbs. First of all, it seems odd that by simply moving the wires around I was able to temporarily coax the lightbulbs into working again. It seems unlikely to me that both wire harnesses would go bad at the same time. Second my manual says that HID bulbs should have a 15amp fuse for an HID, 10amp for halogen. My fuses are 10amp. Does this mean my Prius is equipped only for halogen?

I'm probably overthinking this, but would hate to unnecessarily spend good time and money on expensive headlights!

Thanks in advance

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bulbs are not interchangeable. You have halogen.

The halogen bulbs at auto stores are usually Phillips and are super bright and run super hot and do not last long.

Sometimes the sockets get burned up and will become very intermittent. Mine did. take a good picture of the socket and post here. I have changed the bulbs on my car multiple times and the best bulb made for this car is the factory bulb imho. If the headlights have gone out the whole car needs to be rebulbed. Its time. The car is 11 going on 12 years old.

The rear bulbs are super easy.

Go online like Olathe and buy all the bulbs for the car and be done with it. You may have to change the front sockets the auto stores carry that socket and you can butt splice them in. My butt splice has lasted about 6 years so far.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. PruisPlurality

PruisPlurality Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the reply! On close inspection, it does seem like the sockets are badly burned. I picked up a pair of new ones at Advance Auto and replaced the driver side socket, but the light still does not work. However, I'm not super confident in my splicing job because I used a pair of linesman plier instead of a stripper/crimper. Also not sure if the colors are matched appropriately. Any advice would be great! Here is a picture of the socket and my attempt at crimping the new socket.

I will definitely order new bulbs. Maybe I should try a different socket?

Attached Files: