1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ScottyJNC, Feb 22, 2012.

1. ScottyJNC

ScottyJNC New Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I've just purchased a 2008 Prius (Package 5 Touring, I think.) I'm having strange issues with the headlights which may or may not be related to the time of day when I turn them on.

When I turn the headlights on at twilight, it seems as if they fire up at full brightness for a fraction of a second, then "dim" down to a lower level. If I turn them off, then back on, I get another burst of bright white, then another quick "dimming" to a lower level and a more "orange" color.

The other night, I left work in total darkness, and that time they fired up bright white and stayed bright white.

Is it possible that there's some sort of photosensor that's dimming them down to a "daytime running light" level, and that's what's happening with my lights at twilight?

I'm a little paranoid after reading all the articles about how expensive the HID headlight bulbs are, and I'm definitely not excited about spending $350 on new headlights at the moment!

Scott

2. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You have the HID bulbs. My experience ('07 Touring - same bulbs) is they fire up more brightly then settle in.

As for expense, you can get the D4R bulbs on Amazon.com (buy the bulbs FROM Amazon, DON'T buy bulbs on Amazon that are sold by someone else! [I did that and they were counterfeit.]). They're about $50 each with free shipping.

Replace them in pairs. It's about a 1/2 hour job, you do NOT need to remove the bumper. Others on Priuschat have posted how to replace the bulbs.

1 person likes this.
  3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What you are seeing is normal for HIDs...

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed.

They all do that. Be thankful we don't use metal halides (street lights and high end aquaria) for automotive lighting. They burn bright but take 2-5min to reach full brightness. lol

5. ScottyJNC

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks, everyone. I'll quit worrying. From what I've read elsewhere, it seems that if the bulbs were starting to go, they'd "cycle" (turn off, cool down, come back on) rather than dim. So as long as both my lamps are burning steadily, and it seems they are, I should be in good shape.

I must say they're agreeably bright! Part of my drive home is along a country road where I worry about deer, and these headlights far outshine those of my old car (a Mercury Grand Marquis -- how's that for a change of pace?)

Scott

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    HID bulbs do dim as the wear out, so you have two failure modes: 1) Lights are no longer bright enough, or 2) Lights fail to stay lit.

Either is grounds for replacing your bulbs.

Tom

7. ScottyJNC

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The car must have been listening. Last night, my right headlamp went out while I was driving. Turning the headlights off and back on brought it back. Time for bulbs, I guess.