1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Leveler Reset ECU Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TCD, Apr 12, 2017.

1. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy,

In the past (several times) I have successfully rebuilt the headlight Leveler on my 2004 Prius to resolve the problem of the warning light coming on. I have never had to reset the related ECU to clear the warning light.

After a very wet winter in Northern NV it came on again last week and I thought I would try one of the eBay replacement units which are only about $20.00 shipped.

The replacement unit looked identical to the original unit and I swapped it out in about 15 minutes including cleaning the plug and using dielectric grease. Unfortunately the warning light has stayed on.

I found these instruction to reset the related ECU.
    Screenshot at 2017-04-12 12:49:12.png

I have tried all four combinations noted below and the warning light is still on.

I need to clarify a few points:

1 - Should the car be on or off during the procedure?

2 - Should I hold the short on pins 4 and 8 while I'm flashing the lights or short and release the pins and then flash lights?

All info Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tom

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Disconnecting the 12V aux battery will clear all DTCs (temporarily). If the warning light comes on again after that then I'd say the ebay replacement is not the right part. I bought a used sensor from a Florida junk yard, It functioned adequately until I sold my Gen 2 four months ago - I never saw the warning light again.

That doesn't mean the leveler on mine had always been functioning correctly though. The metal dog bone that attaches to the torsion beam fractured after the lever arm on the sensor rusted solid and I have no idea exactly when it happened. Luckily the headlight aim stayed low.

SFO likes this.
  3. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks jadziasman,

I am aware of the reset you mention however I want to specifically reset the ECU associated with the leveler and not loose all of my custom setting. The mechanical system is working smoothly and correctly.

I am also interesting in learning how to correctly apply the manuals.

Tom