1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Nightmare

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BauerPWR, Mar 26, 2016.

1. BauerPWR

BauerPWR New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just purchased a Blizzard Pearl 2016 Toyota Prius Two not II because only 2010 used uppercase roman numerals for model designation three weeks ago and so far I am extremely pleased with the new vehicle :D. I owned a 2010 Toyota Prius Two and unfortunately after 248,000 miles the cylinder head gasket fell apart (quoted $4400 to fix) which prompted me buy a new Prius. Just before I hit my first 1000 miles with the new vehicle, a stone was kicked up on the highway and cracked my driver's side headlight. I was bummed but thought, well, no big deal as it is just the headlight lens that was cracked and I should be able to replace just the lens or lens housing....WRONG. Unfortunately Toyota does not have the ability to change just the lens/housing and the only solution was to replace the entire headlight. Once again I was bummed that I would have to shell out extra cash but man was I unprepared when they told me the price.......$1300 :eek:. I called two other toyota dealerships parts dept's to see if this was true and one even said, "holy moly that is expensive..." before giving me the price. The light is around $1120 and the install is $180. For the time being, I did my best masking tape job :rolleyes: to keep the light together and prevent moisture but I don't know how long that will last and the look, while not super noticeable, is annoying. Honestly I don't know what to do and any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    contact your insurance company and see if they have coverage for incidentals like rocks hitting the car. I know many policies have free coverage for rocks hitting windshields....maybe they can do something for the headlight.

Even if you paid your deductible to fix the headlight, it should be less than $1300 and it shouldn't count against you since it's not your fault.

Doug McC likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the insight. One LED headlight unit from the LS600h 8 years ago cost about USD 3,000 so the cost has come down by half.

4. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    $1,300! Sorry to hear that. Why does that not surprise me?! A simple lens change turns into a whole new headlight and a major expense. (Or a simple bulb replacement in the rear, requires you to remove the entire tail light assembly?)

I follow those big rigs often when driving on the freeway. Kind of like "drafting." They kick up a lot of rocks and debris. I should probably stop doing that. (And speaking of moisture, did you see that thread about water in the headlights of a new Prius? Say it ain't so, Joe!)

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How bad is the damage, and where on the lens is it cracked? Please post pictures.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats on your new ride and welcome! 250k out of your '10 was terrific. can you wait until one shows up in the salvage yard?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, it used to be $20 for a new sealed beam. We progress.

I wonder, could it be repaired like they do windshield chips??

#7 Mendel Leisk, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    UltraJetRefill likes this.
  8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same thing happened to me after I got my PiP in 2012. Barely 1 month after I got the car, I hit a box that dropped off another car. Cracked the LED turn signal/fog light. Repair was north of $3000 including a replacement bumper. Its just bad luck.

If the car was old, I would've just taped up the LED light with clear tape and the scratches on the bumper was no big deal. Since it was new I decided to pay my deductible and my insurance company promptly removed my good driver discount.

9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    You did not mention a wrecking year option.
    Insurance claim may be best.

Preventative maintenance...the aftermarket sells clear plastic protectors, like from 3M brand (I can't recall the other brands) to cover the lenses.
    $50 to $100 may be the price for that.
    I have these covers on other vehicles and well worth the price.

10. BauerPWR

BauerPWR New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the damage with my gorilla tape fix. I have been thinking about calling the insurance co about this being covered but haven't had time. Luckily my deductible is only $500 but I am worried that this claim will increase my copays making it not worth it. I will look to call them this week and I will let you know the results.

-Matt

Attached Files:

mmmodem and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oy, that's not repairable!

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The good thing is that the damage is away from the lowbeam projector so it doesn't interfere with the light pattern.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lol, love the Monty Python and the Holy Grail quote! :)

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a vague recollection the quote was from a skit with a guy bicycling around English countryside. Every time he'd take a tumble he'd log in his diary how the various foods he was packing survived the crash. And the flesh wound bit was after he was hit by a couple with car, discussing things with them, while blood squirts out of his neck, in time with his heart beat, lol.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks good! that's my story and i'm sticking to it. wait for a junker.

17. Rayne_Superior

Rayne_Superior New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I got a crack in my passenger side headlight 2018 2 eco and it now has condensation. Worked for a while but just recently began to flicker both headlights! Driver side doesn't flicker if i pull the passenger side fuse but both flicker if I leave them in. Any advice how to stop the flickering?