1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight On

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bigblock67, Dec 17, 2017.

1. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On an 02 How can headlights be controlled by switch so not to have them on constantly. Burning bulbs.
    Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your profile says Indiana, but did you somehow get a Canadian Gen 1 with the daytime running lights?

The 2001 I had in Indiana never had headlights on unless I turned them on with the knob on the end of the turn-signal stalk.

-Chap

3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 02 & 03 both have DLR. And I live in Arizona.

I kinda like them.

4. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought it used in Virgina and never looked if Canadian. Switch is same. On Vaca and will check. Door post info maybe? Thanks for that

5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3prongpaul: While DRLs are great where you need them (northern countries, rainy places) some people don't want them on all the time. The Gen1 Prius (2001-2003) with Factory DRL's is a bit a pain to defeat. You cannot just pull a fuse or relay and the main DRL relay is a complicated unit that is burried far far under the dash.

The easiest way I've found to disable DRL is to cut a wire under the passenger side engine room fusebox. Under the fusebox is a junction point butt splice (E2 on the wiring diagram). It has 2 Red/Black and 2 Red/Green wires all tied together with black shrink tubing and a "ring bump" around the end. If you don't see the butt splice you may have to unravel some of the electrical tape to expose it. If you cut the Red/Black wire with silver dots the DRL feature will stop working, but headlights will work normally if you turn the headlight switch on.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you strip the ends of the cut wire and put male/female connectors you can re-enable them easily at a later time....perhaps disable for summer and enable for winter months. You could also extend the cut wires and install a more accessible toggle switch.

To open larger versions of the images, right click then select open link in new tab.

#5 Brian in Tucson, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    WHCSC likes this.