1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tripod137, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They installed the new control module....but can't return the car because.....the headlight is bad too!!! So, hopefully, they will have a new headlight in and installed by tomorrow afternoon. This is all exciting especially since the OTHER headlight is starting to go out, intermittently, also.

And I just noticed one of my "running lights" (driver side red "brake" light) is out also. I get the feeling THIS one isn't covered by warranty, even though the car is a little over a year old.

Hmm...I guess it's a good thing they suggest leaving the headlights on all of the time. With 21K on the car, it may have taken PAST the warranty period to find the headlight problem....probably would cost and arm and a leg to replace a HID control module, eh?

Anyway, will keep you updated.

Hey!! Why not??!? Next time I am in, I might as well ask them about the brake light!! Worst thing they can say is no!! :)

2. jimshoe

jimshoe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tripod137 @ Mar 18 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]408165[/snapback]</div>

Having the same problem on my 04 Prius with 97k miles. Driver side headlight goes out intermittently.

Was the problem solved with the new module?

Thanks

3. comtech5

comtech5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My '06 has same intermittent HID headlight problem. Both driver & passenger sides. I have a very knowedgeable and experienced Prius mechanic at NY area dealer diagnosing problem now. Mechanic has been been working with regional Toyota tech rep to fix. They both concur that it is probably the HID ECU (each side has it's own HID ECU). Parts have been ordered. Will post final report when resolved. Be advised that access to the HID ECU's requires removal of entire front bumper, grille and both wheel wells. Big job.

4. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For the past two weeks my driver side HID has gone off a few times while driving. Turning the headlights off and back on reignites the ds HID.

From the posts on the subject it appears that unless the HID is either permanently off or the intermittent can be replicated at the dealership there is not much that can be done.

Since each HID has its own ECU, are there any diagnostic codes generated when the light goes off?

Ref. 2006, 22Kmiles

5. comtech5

comtech5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are describing symptoms that are of a spent zenon lamp (ie HID bulb). It costs $350 + labor + tax to install. Don't delay, have it replaced while you're still under warranty. I've been all through this with the dealer and Toyota regional tech rep, trust me, it's the bulb. My faulty ECU's were not faulty, it's the bulb. Your passenger side will burn out soon (for sure), so keep an eye on it...and let Toyota pick-up the tab for that one as well. Or, wait to see how fast you get pulled over by State Police when both blink out at the same time. Once your out of warranty, it's all on you, and there goes most of your savings on gasoline. I love my Prius though, and the high performance output of the HID's, and would not trade it for anything else in the world. So for me, the expensive HID's are just the cost of enjoying this high-tech car.

6. Phish Phood

Phish Phood New Member

Seems I'm joining this club.. I haven't had a chance to take it back to my dealership (been dealing with it for about 7k miles now) with a headlight out. Hope to take it in soon next week.. its happening more frequently and effects left or right headlight, or both (HID).. soo.. frustrating. Car is 1y 5m with 52k miles.

7. Nettbeast

Nettbeast New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tripod137 @ Mar 18 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]408165[/snapback]</div>
    Can you follow up with the module replacement? did it fix the problem? I've had the same issue, and when the local Stafford toyota dealer told me I had to have both headlamps replaced on my 2006 Prius I almost threw up all over her. (2006 with 44,000 miles, out of warranty)

I printed this thread and I'm going to take it in to them tomorrow morning and have them order the controller, it's been driving me nuts because this is exactly not the kind of thing I've grown to expect from a Toyota. (Their total lack of support being the other thing I'm not used to)

If this is such a common problem, and since it's safety equipment, shouldn't there be a recall in the works?

Thanks.

8. comtech5

comtech5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the lamp extinguishes at random intervals and always restarts when you power cycle the headlight switch, then it's a spent bulb, not the ECU module. On my '06, the driver side went first at 44,000mi, the pass side went at 46,000 mi. Keep in mind, what shortens the life of a zenon lamp is frequent striking. So, if you keep your headlights on all the time for safety (as I do) (daytime running lights), every time you turn on the vehicle during daylight hours, you are abnormally shortening the life of the bulb by forcing a re-strike.

9. Nettbeast

Nettbeast New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(comtech5 @ Jul 9 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]475848[/snapback]</div>
    That's a painful prospect - design flaw or is this an "as-designed" feature?

I used to keep my headlights on during the day, but I sure as heck won't any longer. I still think that this is something that needs to be pursued via a recall, it's really not safe, especially since when it first started happening to me, it was both lights going out.

The funny part is, i never noticed that they were that much brighter, and really regret the choice now. I have a friend who is considering a Prius and I'm going to steer him either away from the HID headlights, or into the extended warranty.

This just wiped out the cost effectiveness of owning the thing in one swift motion.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what comtech is describing is an inherent property of HIDs and is completely unrelated to the prius. what do you want them to recall? a retrofit to halogens?

11. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm having the same problem. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they said a "connection was loose". And they re-connected it. I'm not confident that, that was the problem. If there really was an open in the circuit then why would turning the lights off and on fix the problem? If an open caused it to go out then it would not work by switching it off and on. Right?

12. Nettbeast

Nettbeast New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Jul 10 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]476285[/snapback]</div>
    Well my first instinct was a faulty relay, but swap-testing the headlight relays did nothing to fix the problem. Then I remembered something from my old tech-school days and that some electronic switches don't function well when hot, so I tried it totally cold, still no luck.

If it's the headlight then so be it. I'm only upset because it started happening so soon after the warranty expired - and for the first time i didn't buy the extended warranty.

13. Nettbeast

Nettbeast New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nettbeast @ Jul 10 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]476291[/snapback]</div>
    I love quoting my own post.

Anyway - It's at the dealership - $320x2 for the headlights, but I got them to do the whole thing for 1 hours worth of labor, or $95.

Considering they have to pull the front end of the car apart to do it, I think I made out like a bandit. (Amazing that I can think that after dropping $750 on freaking headlamps)

To anyone at toyota who reads this - If they don't find a fix, I'm going to dump this car, and toyota, before the second set goes out. 42,000 miles between headlight replacements is a safety defect, not "normal wear and tear" I've already talked two people out of buying them because of this, and that was just casual conversation. Wait until *REALLY* start going.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i understand you're pissed about the unexpected expense, but
    this is how HIDs work.
    in all cars.

it was your choice to take HID as an option when you bought the car, you take responsibility for the added cost of HID over halogen replacement. it's a known fact that the more often you turn the things on, the shorter their life gets.

light bulbs are wear items, you wouldn't have had coverage under the extended warranty anyway. sorry :( but that's the way it works.

15. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(canteen @ Apr 19 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]426231[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for the late response!!!

The module and a new light bulb solved my problem.

16. Phish Phood

Phish Phood New Member

I'm at 52k miles.. problem started at 45k. The people from the extended warranty service are coming out tomorrow to see if they'll foot the $1500 bill to replace the head lamps + system. My service advisor only hopes they can recreate the issue.. they also said that this is the "solution" that the Toyota tech support told them to do.. but until its posted on their technical forums or some crap, they can't try to force the fix on the extended warranty folks. This is, truly crap. I don't even drive night time that often. The car is less than 1.5 years old.. granted 52k miles, I'm a day commuter (100 miles per day).. bah.

Add me to the pissed off list. I warned my service advisor too.. I do not go down quietly. <_<

Oh.. I followed this post from PriusOnline.. someone directed us here.. so you can see more feedback:
    http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=11141

We're not alone.

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phish Phood @ Jul 11 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]477141[/snapback]</div>
    well, first of all, their claim that they should just replace everything and call it a fix and hope the EW covers it is a joke.

the headlight computer (ballast) has 2 wires going into it for the headlight. if, when the lights are turned on, there are 12v in the wires, the problem is either the computer or the wire between the computer and the light. if there isn't 12v in the wires, it's a problem with the wiring in the car, the headlight relay, or the headlight switch.

pretty simple.

which HID controller module did they test? the headlight computer is the one under the headlight assy. the level control module is inside the car and has nothing to do with this.

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phish Phood @ Jul 11 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]477141[/snapback]</div>
    Did you get the Toyota Financial Services plan or is your extended warranty underwritten by someone other than Toyota?

19. Phish Phood

Phish Phood New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jul 11 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]477311[/snapback]</div>
    I bought it through Toyota when I bought the car, but they didn't tell me it was underwritten by some other odd company until they said they had to contact the extended warranty folks.. then again.. I should probably find my paperwork.

I sent a few PMs out to folks that are experiencing this problem.. just because I don't go down quietly. Toyota wants me to pay for the HID headlights, they are also saying that tech support says its an issue stemming from the lamps themselves, and they won't fix everything else and not make me replace the headlamps.. honestly it sounds like crap. I'm sorry, telling me the fix is CHANGE OUT EVERYTHING doesn't seem like a good diagnosis, probably because they really have no clue.

Anywho.. if you can PM me (I probably already sent you a message if you are in this thread) your Name/Dealership/Service Advisor you took your car to for this same headlight stuff.. I'm opening up a case with a case manager with Toyota and they're sposed to get back to me tomorrow.

20. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I took my 2006 in to the dealership today because the headlight went out again after they fixed the loose connection. I printed out this thread and highlighted the posts pertaining to the problem and the resolution. They agreed to replaced the bulb today. After they dug in to it they found corrosion in the whole unit and are replacing everything in the passenger side. The car is in the shop now and will be fixed tomorrow. I'll keep you up to date on the issue.