1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tripod137, Dec 27, 2006.

1. pggybrg

pggybrg New Member

Follow-up to my last post, #79.

The dealer kept the car two nights, awaiting backordered headlamps. When I picked it up, I was told that Toyota was aware of this problem on a limited number of 2006 models only, and blamed it on those pesky sub-standard Chinese parts. (Funny, they didn't admit to any of this when I first complained of the problem and directly asked them if there was a technical service bulletin on this issue). They replaced both headlamps and claim that will fix the problem. The problem is, however, that it is often very hard for the driver of the car to KNOW that one of their headlights is out. I know I only noticed when I saw my car's reflection in a clean SUV in front of me stopped in traffic, or when pulling into my garage, or when told by someone else. It seems to me this is a classic case for a safety recall and I would like to know what is taking so long. Others driving 2006 Priuses: check your headlights often, and report problems to Toyota and the National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration if you have them. FYI, my car's production date was 12/1/05, just in case a whole batch of them with this problem went out around the same time.

2. davidtoo

davidtoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tripod137 @ Mar 18 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]408165[/snapback]</div>
    You're lucky to get the work done under warranty. My left halogen headlight went out at 40,000 miles (it would work if I turned the light on again - for a while. It cost $529 to repair - they have to remove the bumper to replace the headlight assembly.

3. casca

casca New Member

Another data point.

2006 Prius with HID option.

Lights started going out at 33,000 miles, first one side, then the other, then both. Can turn them off on stalk then back on and they both work for a while.

Took it to the dealer 11/26/2007, he said he knows there is a problem with the HIDs, has another customer with exactly the same problem. Left it there so the service manager could drive it and try to catch the problem.

Thank god it happened now and not 3000+ miles from now.

4. Bear68

Bear68 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Casca @ Nov 27 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]544699[/snapback]</div>

Yep. I've fixed a couple of them now. Ask the service manager to conatact their technical assistance guys and they should get the opinion of "Replace both HID bulbs AND both headlight ECUs." At the least you can let them know that we have had excellant luck replacing those parts and not having the issue comeback..... and yes, I do work for a Toyota dealership and I have practically interrogated the Tech Assist guys we have access to....

5. firewalker50

firewalker50 New Member

head light replacement

i've already replaced both headlights on my 2006 prius and the right side went out again a couple days ago. simply turning off the lights and then back on again restores the light. the dealer has been great about replacing them ($300 each) but they are now searching the technical manuals to see WHY they keep going out.

6. Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What about replacing HID with halogens?

Not sure if this is crazy idea or not but if it costs upwards of $2000 to replace the HID headlights has anyone considered replacing the HID system with halogens? Any idea how much that process would cost?

Just curious,
    -- Ian

7. bbeitzel

bbeitzel New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a 2004 with ~98500 miles, and a couple of weeks ago the driver-side HID headlight starting going out intermittently. I read the forums here and on Priusonline, and realized that I was having the same problem as many others. I wanted to get it in while it was still under the extended warranty, so I took it in this morning. The service advisor told me that they had seen a couple of Prii with the same problem. To make a long story short, apparently when the techs called to find out about ordering the ECUs, they were told that Toyota had decided that the original headlights were causing the ECUs to burn out (not sure exactly why). The SA told me that the HIDs have been redesigned to avoid this problem in the future. I have 2 on order, and they should be installed tomorrow.

I am a little worried that the new headlights will just fix the problem long enough to put me over 100000, and then I'll get stuck when the ECUs go. I do plan on contacting Toyota customer service to try to get them to cover at least some of the cost of the new HIDs.

Has anyone else heard of the supposed redesign of the bulbs?

8. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG] How much effort is required to change HID bulbs ----not much
    I had very similar issue with HID headlight. It is definitely the bulbs. Replacing them are fairly straight forward. You can definitely do it yourself or have a garage do it for you (<$50 labor). First of all, get the desired HID D4R bulbs (<$100 a pair on eBay). Bulbs can be accessed easily from the back. You may want to remove the washer fluid tank on the passenger side, and re-orient the fuse box on the driver side to give you more room to work. The entire task can be done well within one hour, assuming you have not done it before. I have just replaced both HID bulbs by myself today. The dealer wanted to remove the front bumper cover to access the light fixture. This is completely unecessary for the simple task of HID bulb replacement.:)

9. lloydct

lloydct New Member

I searched the HID headlights you used from ebay. They seem to be $70.00 a pair now and they give you different Kelvin options. Does it matter what color temperature you get? Do we know what the OEM color temp is?

10. ThePackage

ThePackage New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yesterday, on the way to my NJ polling place at 5:00AM it was dark and FOGGY. Visibility had to be down to 25 yards. My right HID headlight went out. Talk about being scared. I could not clearly see the right edge of the pavement. I did, instinctively, what you did and rotated the highlight switch (off then on very quickly) and fortunately the hightlight came on and I arrived safely to my polling place 10 minutes latter.

I don't think it was a loose connection as during the last part of the trip, the car went over some typical NJ bad pavement and was jostled without a problem. I also don't think it was an "overheat" condition as the outside temperature was about 30F and the lights had been on only about 5 minutes. By the way, as everyone has already stated, those fog light are USELESS. What a waste and Toyota should be ashamed to even call them fog lights as they offer no elumination in foggy conditions.

Does anyone have any other clues to check out?

11. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The foglamps have a use. If left on, you don't look like a motorcycle to oncoming traffic when one of your HID lamps goes out.

12. Spur

Spur New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    OK, I just got the same problem. Driver side headlight intermittent failure. Ours is a 2007 package 6 with 40,000 miles. I read all the posts. Took forever to get through them. Bottom line, I guess we still don't know the real cause.
    I tried to remove the offending bulb, but gave up after realizing my fat hand just wasn't going to get it done. I read the manual plus everything here and watched a video on how to do it. The headlight electrical conection would not come off. The round cover would not rotate, and no one is sure it is the bulb anyway. I am resting up for another shot at it.

13. furtech

furtech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I just got the bad news: over $900 to "fix" my headlight problem. I have a 2006 Prius with the HID lights. When the first light went out (somewhere in the 20K mile range), I asked them to check it out since this seemed odd (and I saw how much the headlights cost!). They said, "Bad bulb, probably." When the other headlight went out (same intermittent problem) just before the next service notice, I asked them again to check it out...they came back with the same, "Bad bulb."

Then my running lights (tail lights) started going out as well, one after the other. I'm not sure whether they checked the electrical system or not, but they replaced them without comment. This probably has nothing to do with the HID lights, from what I have heard (but I added it as well, since there seemed to be a pattern at the time).

Now that my car has gone past warranty, the driver side light is out again. That's when my service rep (a great guy) said, "Needs new controller and bulb". $907. Ack. I'm going to contact the district Toyota rep and see if they will do this as a problem that wasn't corrected under warranty, but my service rep said that they're unlikely to go for it (but I'll try!).

And I've read the whole thread and have to agree with those who made comments questioning "galaxee"'s integrity: when they replied to folks commenting here with:

"it was your choice to take HID as an option when you bought the car, you take responsibility for the added cost of HID over halogen replacement. it's a known fact that the more often you turn the things on, the shorter their life gets."

That was a pretty snarky remark-- totally uncalled for and if the people they directed this to get nasty back, "galaxee" brought it upon herself. Mr. Galaxee may be a saint and probably has helped me with a problem or two here on Prius Chat, but the above comment was neither helpful nor called for. The bad English (like it or not, this does affect how you are perceived on the net), the assumptions ("it's a known fact": Uh-- no, it's not a known fact) and the tone of the post did not lend the poster much credibility to an infrequent visitor. FYI, I did not have a choice of headlights to get the package I wanted, nor did I see any warning about using HID lights as DRL being a -bad- thing. I bought a Prius because of the technology-- not because -I- am a rocket scientist.

14. clemnet

clemnet New Member

FYI - The right HID headlamp went out in my 2006 Prius. Vehicle out of warranty by mileage: 42,000 miles. Called Toyota Customer Service and told them I thought the bulb should be replaced at no charge since the vehicle was still within the 36 months warranty period. My argument was that headlamp blubs are not sensitive to mileage.

Toyota told me to have the bulb replaced at my local dealer and then fax them a paid receipt, at which time they would issue me a 100% refund for the repair cost. I received a reimbursement check for $462.30 within three weeks of faxing the receipt!

15. Hamish

Hamish New Member

I have had this problem. Have now had both headlights replaced as of yesterday. Will see if that solves problem. However, dealer should not be surprised at this problem. My dealer did not question it at all. They had seen other cases of this problem. Seems to be only with 2006 and 2007 cars.My dealer is in Alexandria VA and has been very cooperative, but no one seems sure if its a bulb problem or something more serious. Guess will have to wait and see if it happends again.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

16. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    use the SEARCH function. this topic has been discussed in length and detail on the site.

17. khoult

khoult New Member

18. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen lots of "one-eyed" Prius lately on the road (Priclops?) . I was wondering how there could be so many. So far my 06 seems to have both lights working at over 76,000 miles. I only use them at night, as opposed to daytime driving. Is that an issue with some of the failures?

19. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw a Prius this morning with fogs + parking lights, but no headlights. Both burned out ?, or some mod to the wiring circuit? I thought fogs only was a no-no.

20. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Real Fog lights should be yellow not white.