1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AlphaTeam, Jul 5, 2007.

1. loonyhiker

loonyhiker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I called Toyota today and they took down my info and gave me a claim #. I was told that someone would be responding back to me within one business day. I will let you know what they say when I hear from them. I also filed my complaint with the NHTSA. Thanks for your help.

2. bconnie

bconnie bconnie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most recent comments are from Jan. 2008. I am having problems and it is Jan. 2009. Has anyone had positive results in dealing with this issue? I vehicle is doing the exact same thing others are complaining about. One headlamp with go out and if I switch my off/on switch it will come back on. It is not always the same lamp. I have even been driving when both lamps go off. It is not when I hit a bump etc. it is very random. I have been driving with the problem because I can not afford to pay the outrageous estimates of just replacing the bulbs alone when I know it is more that that. Any answers or settlements with Toyota or consumer reports? I love my prius although I am ready to start making a lot of noise. I have also filed a complaint with Safecar.gov. any other ideas? Help!!!!

3. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh, I think you are off by a year or so.
    Please see my previous post, in this thread, from earlier THIS week.

Dan.

4. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any positive response from Toyota?

5. mrfarmer

mrfarmer New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Toyota knows the problem. They just don't want to address it. Evidently only the Feds can make something happen.

6. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Toyota corporate took care of my case with no hassle, no charge.
    However, if it could all be handled at the dealer level, it would help.
    My concern is dealers taking advantage of uninformed owners, past, present and future.
    I don't know what the requirements are for a recall, anyone?

7. DaWelder

DaWelder New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    well I just tried to replace the hid on the passenger side my self and found that there is insufficient room to access the connector (four phillips head screws) inside the headlamp assembly. Looks like the headlamp assembly does need to come out after all. The only way I can see to accomplish this is to remove the front bumper trim piece that is molded around the headlamp assembly. This sucks because I do not have a clue who to take the car to for this since the dealer wants $400 for the job.

8. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go back and read my instructions.... on the passenger side, you can remove the windshield wiper container "take it completely out", then you can get your head in that spot "upside down ... sorta" to see in with a small flashlight.

The wires push together, then back, and let them release to go outward to relax, then pull them forward.

If you can ever get a visual.. its easy.....

you can cheat and take a camera with a flash and see if you can get a shot of it that way.. or even use a small mirror.

9. bconnie

bconnie bconnie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a call from Toyota consumer office. I explained my headlamp story and they said they would get back with me tomorrow to let me know my case. I am assuming others have gotten resolution as they don't keep complaining. I am hopeful. I commute early and late evenings and want full lights. Got pulled over last night for one headlamp. I showed the officer how I could just switch it on. 5 days to fix it, yeah right!

10. bconnie

bconnie bconnie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Loony hiker, did you get help?:cheer2:

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like this will be the last year for HID problems... the 2010 will be 3 LED's and one Halogen for highbeam..... "no" HID's.

Not sure if the total package will be as bright.. but possibly so based on looks alone "no measuring devices"

Their reasoning is that its too expensive to replace and or fix when they have problems.... and the LED's will last indefinitely "lets see! LOL" and the Halogen is cheap and easy to replace.

12. loonyhiker

loonyhiker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry it has taken me so long but it has been a waiting game. I called Toyota and had to wait for someone to call me back. Then I had to take the car in to the dealership for a "diagnosis." I called the person at Toyota back but there is a major time difference from SC and CA (where they are). They will have to call my dealership (who states it is just a headlight problem and will cost $252.82). Then they will call me back within 1 business day to let me know what's up. I will keep you posted. :)

13. Random

Random New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last year not sure what month, my 2006 did the same thing. Passenger side headlight goes out, mysteriously works later. Then the Driver side went out, then back on after a while. Kept intermittenly going out on either side. Took it to Toyota. They said bulbs need to be replaced. Recommended doing both at same time. Well, at that time it was about $380.00 each PLUS labor which was around $150.00 if I remember correctly. So I spent over $800 to get two new headlights. That stunk but did seem to fix the problem. They worked fine for a while, now about 1 year later roughly the problem returns. Again, it's on both sides of the car. Well, after reading posts here I'm thinking I need to write to Toyota and NTSB as some recommended. This makes me mad to say the least. Love the Prius, hate HID!

14. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My '06 keeps having one out at a time and it frustrates me to no end! I can see in the reflection of the bumper of the car in front of me- the light flickering! Meanwhile, the miles keep going up and up and up :(

15. sonic_prius

sonic_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey, loonyhiker, did your dealer charge you for the diagnosis?

I called Toyota again yesterday about the headlight problem with my 2006. I originally reported it to them (and in this thread- #250) in October 2008. I never received a call back then. So this time I called Nicole, who was mentioned in a post here as being knowledgeable of the problem. She was helpful but said I was out of the area that she serves and she must transfer me to someone else. The guy she transferred me to was "friendly", but like the woman who took my original call in October, was defensive, and refused to admit there was a headlight problem, pretended not to know they had helped other owners, and seemed to be playing games of semantics. But this guy did FINALLY agree to pass my case to "case management", and as he promised, I got a call from them today. As with loonyhiker above, they said I must take the car to my dealer for a diagnosis, which I will do. In October, my dealer claimed no knowledge of a headlight problem, and wanted $45 for a diagnosis, which I passed on at the time. I will report the outcome.

I find it extremely frustrating that Toyota continues to play games with this issue, and that according to posts here, we still don't understand the problem or the solution. I'm referring to the fact that multiple people have said that after replacing the "defective" headlights, the problem has resurfaced, sometimes a year later. And sometimes they replace the whole system. This makes me wonder if the people who have had headlights replaced have really had the problem fixed. I see many theories-moisture, contacts, bad run of headlights, controllers, etc. Does anyone know what's going on here??? If Toyota doesn't, shame on them. And if they do, but won't tell, that's worse. They asked me today how many Toyota's I own. Is one not enough???

Like most owners here, I have "sold" this car and bragged about it to anyone who would listen. I think we deserve better than this.

16. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Search here and Prius Online for case numebrs people have posted. That will convince Toyota that (a) you have insider knowledge or at least smart and expereinced frieds, (2) you have access to some publicity forum, and (3) you have proof they are lying about there not being a problem. You dont' have to claim these three facts, they will figure it out and change their tune. Be courteous but insistent and they will come around.

17. loonyhiker

loonyhiker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Update: I asked the dealership how much they charged and they said between $45 -$97 for diagnosis which would be applied to the repair charge if I got it repaired. I let them diagnose it but was not charged anything and I didn't ask any more about it.

I took the car for diagnosis last Tuesday, and called Toyota from the dealership. I was told I would be called back in 1 business day but have not heard back from them. When I called back today, the recording says the agent is busy and I will be connected to someone else but then I get disconnected. I will try again tomorrow.

Maybe we should all be filing reports with the Better Business Bureau against the dealership and the company. Maybe that will get their attention.

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No manufacturer is perfect and even though Toyota has an excellent track record, occasionally things fall though the cracks and despite the best QA problems still occur.

But the way they are handling this is tarnishing their awesome reputation.
    Their next cars won't have HID... maybe they are hoping this problem will go away without having to proclaim a public recall as they knock out these out one on one.

I don't have a problem with that so much if they would at least send each owner a letter asking them to report in if they have had a problem as the problem will be fixed.

Its not good PR to force clients to pull your teeth in order to get satisfaction. I really do expect more from Toyota.

19. Porsche998

Porsche998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Back in 2004, talking to people doing HID conversions - they told me that they were using the Toyota ballast but taking it apart and using silicone to seal it since the seam was in no way even water resistant. THey had a few ballasts there that had stopped functioning due to water getting into the electornics. I suspect that the headlight problem on the Prius may be a combination of defective bulbs and ballasts going south. Has anyone looked at the 2007-2008 ballast to see if it is wealed against water intrusion. If not, one may want to start there and seal the seam with silicone.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if on those old ones a simple bulb change seemed to help things as it seems to do in the new ones?