1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AlphaTeam, Jul 5, 2007.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    10 minutes per bulb. OK, the second time. Always a bit slower doing anything the FIRST time. And you don't have to buy eBay bulbs, they just happen to be a lot cheaper though I think I heard recently that Toyota has dropped the price of their HID bulbs to something more in line with other auto brands. Don't recall the price but it wasn't down to EBay prices.

Also, you don't need to be particularly mechanically inclined. Small hands are more useful :) It requires no tools, though you can use a flat head screwdriver to pop the push in fasteners if you don't want to push them up from the bottom with your finger.

2. steinmania

steinmania New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That is correct. And, it will cost you about $1,000 or so to let Toyota fix it.
    Mine is screwed up too. No alternative. I won't take a chance on trying to do it myself. All thumbs.

But listen up! The Toyota mechanics don't know crap. They run to their PC to look up what to do. And while they are learning on you to the tune of 3 hours for labor, they charge YOU for that learning time. F$$k me.

Here's the free advice kicker: They turn on the light to test them, right? So they don't turn on the engine because it is indoors. THEY RAN THE BATTERY DOWN while working on it and instead of just one bulb being replaced, they thought BOTH of them had to be replaced. AHHHHHHHHH! Once they realized what they had done, they basically started all over again on the second light including recharging the frackin battery! JC help me here. I don't want to go postal.

So watch what they are doing. It's boring, but they can't be trusted to do it right the first time. I'm contacting Toyota anyway and every way I can to get some of my money back.

I'm buying American next time. At least they know when someone is pissed.

Steinmania

3. rivercat

rivercat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Followup to my previous message:
    After stewing about Jasmine's "offer," I left a voicemail for the service manager at my dealership, telling him that due to Toyota Corporate's stance on this issue, I would not only never buy another Toyota but I would also never do business with his dealership or any other Toyota dealership again. I would have the bulbs replaced by another mechanic, and his dealership would never see any of my money again (I've brought my Prius to the dealership for all oil changes and scheduled maintenance, so I was a good customer).

He returned my call and let me know that he had raised the issue to the overall service manager, who was taking it to the regional distributor and requesting a "goodwill" replacement of the bulbs. We eventually settled on me "participating" in the cost of the repair by paying $50.

So I've had two new bulbs for about 10 days, and so far so good. They are noticeably brighter than the old bulbs, increasing my nighttime visibility tremendously. I asked the service manager who manufactured the original bulbs and the replacements, and he said they're both by Denso. They have a one-year warranty, and I will be raising more hell if they crap out before a year is up. If they do, then that's a pretty clear sign that the problem is not the bulbs.

By the way, I rented a car last week when traveling for business. The only cars left on the lot were Toyotas (I ended up with a Corolla), and there were several people waiting for non-Toyotas to be returned so they could rent those instead. That's a 180 from the usual situation, where the Toyotas are grabbed up quickly and you're left with PT Cruisers and Chevy something-or-others.

4. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

Hey Windstrings,

You seem pretty knowledgeable about this topic, lots of good posts. Thank you.

I've gone through 15 pages of the 70 pages in this thread, and so far can't find a recommendation on the exact bulbs on Ebay to buy. I have a 2007.

My headlamps are failing and I don't want to pay Toyota $150 each. I'll pay $$$ for GOOD bulbs on Ebay, not cheap ones, but so far can't find anyone saying which ones to buy, or which ones they bought.

What did you get?

Thanks again

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I 've posted my source many times but between 2 gigantic threads its hard to find those needles in the haystack.

I've replaced 4 total and one went bad within 2 weeks, I simply put one of my good OEM bulbs "that hadn't gone bad" and 40K miles later I"m still good on the remaining 3 ebay bulbs as well as the original OEM.

I do think its quality control no matter where you buy them.... the cheaper the source, the riskier the quality control.

I paid 69.00 for both... sometimes he will take 49.00 for both.. its worth asking.

Hey... looks like they are on sale!.. he does put a sale on from time to time.

But these are the ones I got.

Some of the cheaper sites "beware" as they word funny... they are actually "HID type" bulbs that are really halogen.

anyway.... here you go:

4300K HID 35W Xenon OEM Toyota Prius 06 07-09 Bulbs D4R : eBay Motors (item 350313094664 end time Mar-06-10 01:44:34 PST)

1 person likes this.
  6. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

YER AWESOME, thanks~:)

7. FCBarca

FCBarca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wondering if this is the issue I'm now experiencing, as well...I have a 2005 (80k)and the right headlight started to flicker until it just went off...Turn off and then back on again, the light will come back on...Only to flicker and eventually go off.

Wondering if there's a way to know whether it's a assembly/connection issue or whether the bulb needs to be replaced

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

If it was a connection, it wouldn't consistently come on when you turned it back on because there would be times the bad connection wouldn't allow it.

This sounds like the bulb is going bad.... as they age, it takes more and more voltage to excite the remaining good material in the bulb, also corrosive and aging factors raise resistance to allow less and less current to pass inside the bulb.

Put new bulbs in and I bet your good.

Besides, at 80K new bulbs are good anyway.

1 person likes this.
  9. FCBarca

FCBarca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I've been trying to go through this entire thread to learn about it...I'm going to go the ebay route on bulbs...Is the '05 installation similar to the '06?...Am I missing the sticky on how to DIY?

Thanks

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Call your dealer and confirm what you have.
    The 06 uses a D4R type bulb.. I think the 05 may be a D2S?

Also make sure you have HID rather than Halogen. HID runs of a high voltage ballast whereas Halogen is simple 12V.

Here are the ones I bought and use for the 06. They are HID

These on the other hand are Halogen.. big difference!

Here are some D2S HID.. but they are 8000K... "crystal Blue".. I prefer 4300K "pure white"

Here are the D2S in 4300K....

Just find out what you have... he has a ton of choices.... just stick with 35W or you will need a whole new ballast kit if you use 50W.

11. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. FCBarca

FCBarca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just stopped at a Toyota Service center, I do have HID but what's the difference between D2S and D2R?

They also told me I couldn't have a '09 SKS reprogrammed for my '05, does that sound right?

13. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    D2S - are designed for headlights with projector housing
    D2R - are for headlights with HID reflector housing

if you'll take a close look at those two bulbs the D2R bulbs have some kind of shield/paint on the bulb to minimize glare

14. FCBarca

FCBarca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turns out they are D2R...Just ordered a pair off ebay...Now the 'fun' part, installing them

15. Marauder

Marauder New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried the bulbs from ebay and mine started going out again a day later. I'm not sure now if it is the bulbs or some bigger issue. But I've heard the aftermarket bulbs from ebay can simply be bad - and that some of us may be forced to spend the 400 at toyota to get it fixed with their Denso bulbs.

16. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI the 7k blue headlights are not actually as bright as the 4k and 5k ones, even thought your eyes might be fooled at first.

17. Marauder

Marauder New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would encourage everyone who is having headlight related issues to submit their issue with the NHTSA.
    (Incidentally, there are over 1500 complaints already filed on this issue if you search across all the years of Prius vehicles being affected. The number has exploded in the last 6 months. )

The Toyota HID headlight failure (even with new bulbs in my case) is a safety defect.

Exacerbating the problem by making repairs cost prohibitive or self-repair prohibitive through poor design only adds to this problem (unless you're a rich double jointed anorexic gymnast - then it's not a problem).

At least I know the keyless entry, dimmed rearview mirrors, backup cams, hybrid systems, etc all work great... the basic accelerator, brakes, and headlights? well, they usually work... Honestly though, didn't the model T get those features right over a hundred years ago? Awesome job Toyota.

18. mullen28

mullen28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My question is, does replacing the bulbs fix the problem?

I own a 2006 Prius and have just started to have this problem with my passenger HID headlight. When I turn on the headlights, I've noticed the passenger side looks slightly magenta and as I drive it goes out. I then have to turn the headlights off and then on again while driving to get it come back on. This only lasts a little while and I have to repeat this again. I'm not sure what to do.

I have an extended warranty but I'm afraid the dealership is going to tell me it's not covered and I got the link the ebay HID's but I'm nervous to replace the head light only to have it still happen. Also, If I go the ebay route, do I have to replace both bulbs at the same time?

Also, when both headlights worked, I felt that my headlights were aimed too high. I constantly get complaints from drivers in front on me who think I have my high beams on. This is annoying. What do I do?

19. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mullen- CALL TOYOTA! I had my '06 headlights continue to give me problems; they authorized me to get them replaced by the local dealer and they would reimburse me. I did, and they did :)

20. mullen28

mullen28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I contacted Toyota directly and told them the problem and they told me I had to get a quote from a toyota dealer first. So I called the toyota dealer near me and they said they couldn't quote anything without seeing it because it could be a wiring problem or the bulb, etc. and that it was going to be 49.50 for them to look at it.