1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AlphaTeam, Jul 5, 2007.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You welcome.. I"m not a guru on HID bulbs enough to know whats wrong based on your description.. but often when a bulb is going bad, all the material inside can collect in certain places and not go away easily because not enough current is passing into the bulb to turn it all to a plasma state... that can be due to low voltage input or resistance issues within the bulb... at any rate... seems HID in general is not as reliable as all the marketing made it out to be a few years ago.

I honestly think there is either QA issues with the bulb or ballast causing a mismatch, or someone is sleeping at the wheel.

If it was a mere mismatch, you would think they would have fixed the issue by now..... instead, the way the fixed it was to go back to Halogen!.... LOL!

The real crime is the lengthy denial on behalf of Toyota.. they have gotten caught on a few recent issues but this issue has never caught traction with the press.

Tis ashame... because Toyota had such a good reputation, but in an attempt to not tarnish it, they tarnished it all the more with denial and dishonesty.

I've said it long time in the past and I"ll say once more.. its really sad that such a simply technlogical issue cannot be resolved by such a keen Giant of technology..... almost makes you think they just don't care... with the aftertaste it leaves in the customers mouth.

I have always been such a strong advocate of Toyota.... they even flew me to detroit to view the 2010.
    There is a part of me that feels disloyal to someone who wined and dined me so well, but on the other hand I can't commit the same sin as them by acting as if they are perfect and covering their sins.

Sins are only to be covered when one is repentant, but when they hide them, they need to be exposed.

Sorry to get religious, but its about time companies quit worrying about what is Legal to do and what they can get away with and instead do whats "moral"... thats what sells cars and wins loyalty.

Trusting a company is more important than buying a name and an image thats been marketed.

Toyota has earned an awesome reputation, and recently they have earned an awesome black eye.

2. Marauder

Marauder New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got two new bulbs from ebay that appear to be working (for now). Before I installed them I noticed both had little black freckles or spots on the bulbous part of the glass rod. Is this normal? The defective ones I took out appeared to have the same little spots.

3. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    ...for me this problem was the bulb, and not the ballast. I was relieved because the ballast is an expensive repair (according to the big T). Goodwill replacement bulb from Toyota...now I'm just waiting for the other one to go!

4. hennisg

hennisg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had typical headlight probs with the HID's, put in new bulbs myself about 13mo's ago and everything worked great. Driver side light went out, I took bulb out to inpect and the bulb looked like it had exploded. I bought another pair of HIDs and installed them, however now I have a problem that I can't seem to shake. the headlights work but the brights do not. when I engage the brights the blue indicator for brights lights up on the dash but the headlights do nothing. Is this a defect in my new bulbs or is there something else going on here? I have already double checked that the bulbs were seated and installed correctly. Thanks

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    HID headlights use the same bulb for high and low beam. The fixture has a little shutter (cutoff) that moves up and down for changing the beam pattern. It is possible that you bent something when replacing the bulb. If it's out on both sides, that suggests an electrical problem.

Tom

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When the HID bulb is on and gets up to temperature all that material vaporizes and is used to make light.. once cooled down it reforms.

7. murffer

murffer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with a left headlight problem . The left HID headlight bulb goes off and I have to turn the lights off and on and maybe it will stay on for awhile . This is my second new Prius and my LAST Toyota . The company admitted they are aware of Prius Chat Members having headlight problems but refused to help me . The dealer wants 2 hours of labor to install both bulbs and almost $250.00 for just the bulbs . Toyota said you need to remove the front bumper to replace the bulbs . I have had many cars and was able to change headlight bulbs in less than 30 minutes for both . I am sick of dealing with Toyota's customer (lack-of ) service . They didn't even offer to give me a discount on the bulbs even after I told them this is the 2nd new Prius and 6th Toyota I have owned . GOOD BY TOYOTA ............ one terrible Company

8. alansanmateo

alansanmateo New Member

This problem alone will prompt me to give the Hondas a good long look when I am next in the market. I'll be looking at EVERY car company before I consider another Toyota. They have lost their way. We all knew that back in 2008, long before the recent, bigger problems. There is no question that the headlight problem is a Toyota problem and has nothing to do with anything the custyomer is doing wrong. But somehow Toyota has completely mismanaged it. Anyone who still has loyalty to Toyota or has any faith that they care about their customers needs to have his head examined.

It's too bad, because they were truly one of the great stories of the late 20th century. How they lost their way will be a good story. How they find their way back will be an even better story, if it happens.

9. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :doh: I wish I would of seen this post BEFORE I changed out my bulbs. All totaled was about 3 hrs of work. Had to take the bumper cover off, but now - next time - I'll know better. I got my lights at 'speeddemond,com', 6k, for about $55 for 2. Nice and bright. Hope they last at least a year. But now with this information on a better way to pull the lights out it should be a l o t easier.

10. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine fit just fine. No different from the stock bulbs. Everything fit, clipped, plugged and snapped in place no problems. You shouldn't of had to file anything if they are the correct bulbs. Next time I think I'll go with the Philips bulbs on e-bay. Cost more but they should last for years.

And thanks again for all your tips!! It will help next time :p

11. esdras29

esdras29 best prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 prius with hid's and i bought this car used 2 months ago.first thing i replaced the front driver side bulb and turn on but when am driving and i brake hard to come to a complete stop the light turns off on the driver side,so i just turn it on again but if i stop again it does it again weird....but in the freeway its on and will not turn off until i get off the offramp and stop then it turns off... I think this is a electrical problem...i bought a brand new ballast and bulb same thing...can any one help figure out this problem.... Thank you

12. esdras29

esdras29 best prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

i took my bulb out in 1 min before 6 min but i turn into a pro ..no need to take off bumper but if chaging the ballast bumper has to come off 15 min job....

13. Erin Rothchild-Realtor

Erin Rothchild-Realtor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    i am having the same problem - 2009 - about 55k miles - the driver side fades on and off - going back to the dealership with ammunition this time and looking to get the issue resolved. No one said anything to me about an ongoing problem. Aside from this, the car has been wonderful and the dealership is amazing. Thank you everyone for your support and information. Hoping to see the dealership step up to the plate and take care of this at no charge based on the results several others have had. God Bless <3

14. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ebay HID lights from stillenmaxima98 did not last very long on my 06 Prius. Both failed within a month of use.

15. Gutsy

Gutsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wish I saw these posts earlier. I have a 2008 Prius I purchased new two years ago with 25,000 miles on it and the headlights are fine. I just purchased another used 2008 with 57,000 miles on it last week from a used car dealer. After getting it home I noticed the passenger side headlight AND park light was out. The signal light in the same headlight housing worked fine .. but both headlight and parking lights were out? Anyway, the used car dealer ordered a HID light from ebay and will install it tomorrow for me. I'll make sure they don't touch the bulb with their fingers so oil doesn't get on them. I've always known that HID bulbs will burn out prematurely just by touching them with your fingers.

The used car dealer said he was told that Toyota was offering light bulb replacements because many Prius owners were having HID headlight issues, but their offer expired a month ago? Is this true?

16. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Use caution with Ebay bulbs - they sometimes are of poor quality.

Toyota dealer honored the Prius light bulb replacement at a "reduced cost" of $150 each recently - but I had to show them the letter from Toyota that was send last year to me.

17. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well I wish I would of known this a few weeks ago... I already replaced mine and have to replace them again! I thought I'd be smart and buy the '2-for-$54' special. They're special alright! Now the left side is 'winking' out. I"m just going to get the factory bulbs from ebay (Philips D4R XENECO 42406, 35W, and swap them out again. I went with the 6k thinking it'd be cool with brighter lights, now I worry if it will draw more amps across circuits before the light, and potentially causing a more expensive problem later on.

The only notice I have gotten was they lowered the dealer cost of the bulb from $300 to $150. Nothing about a headlight recall.

18. kspohn

kspohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a similar problem. The headlights on our 2005 Toyota Prius turn off while we are driving. Sometimes it is the right headlight, sometimes the left, and once in awhile both turn off. If I turn off the lights and then turn them back on they both work, for a while. The problem is intermittent; there is no predicting when the lights will malfunction. Sometimes it’s while driving and then sometimes while stuck in traffic. I’m sorry that I don’t have a solution, I just thought I would share the misery.:)

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm surprised a lawyer hasn't taken this case.....

20. willowdawn

willowdawn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well, I can honestly say I've not read this entire thread, but just wanted to add my tale of woe.

2006 with HID bulbs - ordered them online from HIDpalace dot com (can't post links yet) D4R OEM HID Replacement Bulbs

$79.00

Installed them both yesterday since both lights had been blinking out, at different times. Last night I take the car out for the first time since replacing the bulbs and I don't get 500 yards from my driveway before they BOTH shut off. Same as everyone else, turn them off then off, and they worked fine. Keep driving... get less than a mile down the road and it happens again. During my 13 mile drive, they shut off more than 10 times. So now apparently I can only safely drive my car during daylight hours. Has anyone come to a positive resolution with Toyota on this one? And any suggestions, since daylight driving only is NOT an option. Heck it will soon be dark by early afternoon here.