1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Foreman, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Rwm

Rwm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since we rarely drive out 2010 Prius at night outside the city, my wife and I noticed our headlamps on dim were all but worthless. A few months ago we noticed the dim lights barely showed any illumination except for a few feet near the ground. I replaced both with ultralight silver bulbs but all they did was improve illumination very slightly to the side. We took it to the Toyota dealership we bought it at. The tech said the light harness was no problem. He blamed the problem with the lenses being fogged over citing the dim of the lenses. I'm no mechanic but if that was the problem wouldn't that affect the brights as well? They illuminate sufficiently. He did order some part. Between this, high service charges, indifference and the fact we only were given one fob which is failing, we're souring on Toyota or at least that prominent Omaha dealrship.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota is not without their problems. the only thing that matters is how they compare to other manufacturers.

dealers on the other hand, are a different breed. pretty much the same across all manufacturers, and a good one is a diamond in the rough.

3. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its due to either a lazy technician or an over zealous express oil changer. They are a pain and sometimes we need to pull the headlight assembly out to really make sure which is not a huge issue. There is a boot and a small wire retainer on both side so if you dont line that bulb up properly you do get that sad lighting and of course crap service. Luck of the draw on that one. Remember you are gambling certain delaers, and certain workers, and certain times of the day. If we were all created equal then there would not be forums like this, right?

4. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just an FYI, the brights are a separate bulb next to the halogen projector, so no that problem wouldn't affect the brights.

Edit: I should question the lens in question too. The halogen projector has it's own lens, but the headlight assembly has the lens as well. Does your headlight assembly lens look as clear as the one shown below?

PriusHighBeam.PNG

5. Liaqat

Liaqat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got problem with my 2012 prius headlight. Can some one help me? The problem is my car has normal holigym bulbs and I need brighter. My friend got later 2012 prius and is very brighter. I looked at it, his light from the back is completely deference, I think his side light is led and his low beam is zenon. I was wondering if I could completely change my light, would the wiring need change? Please help me about it. Thanks

6. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    If you can change headlight assembly the cost might put you off, these newer ones are mega bucks

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.