1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight projector retrofit - HIDs to the max!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, Apr 29, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Simply purchase an HID kit (H11 kit) of your choice which hopefully includes quality bulbs like Morimoto sold at TheRetroFitSource.com or XenonDepot bulbs. I suggest buying the upgraded wiring harness but some argue that this is not needed. That's all you need for the 2010+ since you already have projectors from the factory. They are nt the best but I wouldn't bother trying to change them.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ns/65253-installed-some-hids-my-10-prius.html

2. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys.

T
    he kit from TRS (their Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1)) comes with Morimoto 3Five (35W) ballasts according to the web page info.....

I'm very familiar with JBWeld (two old Lincolns in the garage).

Sounds like the shrouds come out of the box designed to 'friction fit' only (?)

So my aim is to ensure that the projector/shroud assembly acts as a monolithic device. The only thing that should move is the bulb if/when it needs replacing.

Am I correct on this?

Thanks

Cheers

Mike

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike,

If you are getting the Morimoto kit then you're set. They are good quality and TRS is awesome about replacing defective items.

It is very important to make sure the headlight is adjusted properly before fully securing the nut on the back of the projector. I would suggest taking the headlight out to a place where you can aim them and get them aimed before you put everything back together. I have a spot near my house so I simply throw the headlight in the passenger seat and drive to the spot. I perform the alignment with the headlight in place then put the headlight back inside the car for the trip home. Once I get home I can add a little JBWeld to the nut to ensure it doesn't come lose before re-baking the headlight cover back on. Once everything is secure the only thing you should ever have to do is change the bulb.

If you have a problem during the process feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number. The first time is always the scariest! lol

1 person likes this.
  4. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FL8

Thanks lots.

This is the kit I will buy:

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

100% agree.

I note your aiming procedure prior to re-sealing the headlamp assemblies. I'll ask the audience: have other folks employed this headlamp aiming technique? Or is there enough play in the headlamp adjustment mechanism to not have to add that extra step of driving with no headlamp units in place?

Questions about the baking and separating:

• at the start of the thread, detailed instructions show the removal of every metal part from the housing before one begins. Is this to avoid some sort of 'heat sink' action of said remaining metal parts over-heating a localized area of the headlamp assembly? Reason I ask: I'm going to lay the assembly on a pre-heated metal grate in the oven. Does this not also affect anything, or is this the reason for the seven minute limit?
    • when hot and about to pry open the housing, does the taffy-like glue want to leak everywhere or is it of a hi viscosity so as not to unexpectedly leak all over the place?
    Last dumb question: I see the kit comes with relays. Will I still be able to turn my headlamps on and off via the OEM headlamp switch (i.e. are the relays wired in such a fashion as to be totally transparent to someone operating my car (such as my wonderful wife))?

Thanks so much for the help.

Cheers

Mike

2 days and counting

PS off-topic sidebar question: I's also like to replace as many of the incandescent bulbs (interior and exterior) as I can with LEDs from warden_jp2002 Stores Auto LED bulbs
    Using the Sylvania list (attached) as a guide, will warden_jp2002 Stores Auto LED bulbs satisfy all the requirements, or do I have to source a few other places?

Attached Files:

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't ever have the opportunity to work with retrofit "kits", just bare projectors. So my alignment, aiming, and curing are very different. Once I set mine in they only move about on the base reflector which allows for up/down and side to side. Not rotational, and not much side to side. So I try to get it right the first time. My first retrofit took 3-4 bakes to get right. My last one still took 2 and there could be improvement but nobody but me will ever notice it, it is so slight.

1) Don't put the assembly on a metal grate! I use blocks of wood. I take 3 pieces of wood like cutup 2x4's, flooring, plywood, OSB, whatever I can find and lay them down in a triangle in the oven. Then lay the headlamp down so that it rests on the wood and nothing touches anything in the oven itself. You will just melt it otherwise. :)

The relays operate off the normal switch. The thing is HID lamps take a huge current at the beginning and it is less than optimal to run them off of the stock wiring which is pretty weak (it wasn't designed for this at all). So it just sees that you want this wire on, and uses that to signal another beefier wire to turn on.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To get the projectors aimed properly before backing you are primarily trying to adjust the rotational alignment or cutoff to be as level as possible. Be sure to check for side to side adjustment as well. You want to ensure the projector is aiming directly forward so you don't end up with a lazy eye. Your up and down alignment can come after the bake.

You don't have to use my method of alignment. My problem is that I do this in a small garage and I cannot shine the light very far to check the beam. Small adjustments made on a wall up close will be magnified larger on a wall further away. So in my case trying to adjust the projector on my wall less than 3' away is useless.

The glue used to hold the headlight together is very tacky and will not run. However, it is a very good idea to have someone help up keep the glue off of the headlight "chrome" pieces while you pry the assembly apart. As you pull it apart the glue will stretch like taffy unit it breaks. At which point it may fall onto the chrome pieces. It is a PITA to clean without rubbing the chrome paint off. Ask me how I know. :(

You'll do fine if you go slow and take your time. Only do one headlight at a time so you are not rush trying to get the car back together before work on Monday. lol

1 person likes this.
  7. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, since I'm going with "a kit", I must assume that the alignment process may not be so labor intensive.

I'm ordering the kit today. If anyone has used the H1 kit, how did your headlamp alignment work out post modification?

THANKS for that important tip!!!!!:)

OK, wire to some appropriate 12V source thru the relay to the new ballasts, relay coil triggered by OEM stock headlamp switch. Check. Thanks much.

Cheers

Mike

8. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!!!!!!

9. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reply from seawolf to my PM:
    OK, check
    No LED strip (but I do plan to swap the rest of the bulbs for LEDs)
    That's what I needed to know. I suspect once I have the kit and the car and I am holding the headlamp assembly in my hand, this will all become patently obvious to me...
    OK, the mod will not pop off/apart, but there is some shake under some conditions......when I see what I have to work with, I may add my own mod to address this one issue (and post pictures of same).
    I'll capture that info/picture and post when I do the job.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers
    Mike

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mike, are you getting an extra headlight? That'll get you started with one and you'll be able to continue to drive. Once you are done with it, you can remove both headlights from the car and do the other side quickly and then install them back.

11. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dennis, I thought of that but can't justify the expense. That said, I'll set aside two whole days for this project (I'm retired, so time is not an issue).

I just got off the phone with the team at TRS. I ordered the H1 kit with the upgraded XB35 5000K bulbs and its heading to a drop box in upstate New York (along with new winter tires/wheels, shark fin antenna, floor mats, EBH) for P/U in about two weeks......

I asked him about your units shaking over bumps in the road and he stated that based on your photo that shows at the end of page one (1) of this thread that your retaining ring is on backwards and not letting you tighten the unit as much as it could (again, his opinion of what he sees in your photo).

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, I screwed it pretty tight with a big pliers. It doesn't shake on normal bumps. The shake that I see on big bumps may be due to the projector weight.

I don't see how flipping the retaining ring would screw in better but then TRS know their product better than me. Let us know how it goes with your install.

13. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I do this project, I'll see what the rigidity factors for the existing architecture are.....I may add ribbing to strengthen it to take the additional moment (stress) the larger assembly puts on the housing.....

Will do, estimated in about three weeks from now.....

14. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Question: how can I post pictures within the body of a post and not simply all attached to the end of a post. When I post my pictures I'd like to do the running commentary thing....thanks

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Upload the image and copy it's URL and put it between tag. There is a button (mountain and sun) to create that tag as well.

16. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, here is a test run....
    I cannot seem to make this work.....I have photos on my computer hard drive. I'm able to upload them "Upload File from your Computer" in the normal fashion, but all they do is get tagged at the end of my post????:(

Attached Files:

17. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which button give me the ?

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The files have to be uploaded to a website to be able to post pictures withing the body of the post. Otherwise you're stuck using attached images.

Once you have them uploaded to a storage site on the web you use the little square yellow and grey icon that looks like a picture of a mountain and a sun. You can upload pictures onto this website then post them as you wish at a later date. Look through your account user details and look for photos.

19. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I just started a Cardomain one for my new Prius.
    My old Civic is on cardomain with a bunch of photos so I'll try one:
    Still no luck. Oh well, when I start this mod (or my heated seat mod) I'll just somehow wing it with the photos......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You need to reference an image, you referenced a HTML page.

For instance using the [ img ] tags (separated with spaces so it doesn't actually make it an image!) on this url: http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/286/3501/38214250001_large.jpg

gives:

[​IMG]

In FF, just right click whatever image online and choose "copy image location" which will put that sort of URL in your clipboard.

1 person likes this.