1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight protection (e.g., xpel, etc)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 1rocketman, Mar 13, 2012.

1. 1rocketman

1rocketman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is anyone aware of any headlight protection alternatives to xpel.com ?

I want to put something on the headlights on my 2004 Prius, but I don't really want to pay $80 (which is the price I got from the xpel.com website).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ebay has some for $20 shipped all the way up to $57 shipped. the $57 one includes an installation kit, I would be able to get the $20 one as I still have my squeegee and install spray from my zagg cell phone cover. I've never heard of those brands and most are only 12 mils thick as opposed to the x-pels which are 30 mils thick.

A company called AutoSport is selling the X-Pels thru amazon.com for $46+$11 shipping and includes both headlight and foglight protection film. It says its for 2008-2009 but i don't see why it wouldn't work for a 2004, it doesn't say if it includes the necessary squeegee and installation spray, but you live in Florida which means you probably can't throw a stone in any direction without hitting a window tinting shop, which would happily install it for you professionally for a small fee (call around to get the best deal!!)

1 person likes this.
  3. 1rocketman

1rocketman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the reply cnshult......I have an AutoSport catalog around here somewhere....I'll have a look at it......I'm pretty handy, so was planning on doing the install myself.

4. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just got a set from ebay and it is 3m for my Prius V. It was not so easy to install especially for the hill and valley curves on my headlight. I ended up cutting the trailing edges off about 1/2" in order to get rid of the wrinkles. Yes, I used 5% Johnson Baby shampoo and 25% rubbing alcohol and the heat gun as suggested.
    I even failed trying to cover the mirror front.
    The hood and front bumper clear bra posted no problems though.