1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mrgadawg, Nov 21, 2011.

1. mrgadawg

mrgadawg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2005 Prius and I've had problems with my driver's side headlight occasionally going out and later starts working again. Two nights ago a new problem arose. I lost the use of both headlights. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I found that if I turn them off and then back on they will work again, but it is a big problem when you have to turn off your headlights (and all other lights as well, fog, etc) even if it is only for a second. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what do I need to do to fix it?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First you're posting in the wrong section. :)

Did you try replacing the bulbs? How many miles do you have on the car and how often do you turn on the headlights? Are they factory HIDs?

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Now it's in the right forum :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Dmon

Dmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had exactly the same problem last year on my 2004 Prius with HID headlights. Apparently, HID bulbs fail intermittently when they start to fail. We had to replace the bulbs and the problem went away.

5. f16bmathis

f16bmathis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a friend who needed his drivers side headlight replaced. He looked at it, then went to the internet where he found some people taking thier front bumper off, or the dealer charging $100+ to change it.

He asked me to look at it, so after messing with mine, I made a video of how to replace them. Its not that hard, you just have to know what to do.

Video is at www.youtube.com/f16bmathis. You'll have to skip past my video's of my electric Chevy S10, electric can crusher, hydrogen generators and stuff till you find them, but if you don't know how to replace them, its worth it!