1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight replacement-what did I do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JPP, Dec 6, 2013.

1. JPP

JPP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had a HID headlight burn out. No big deal just bought a replacement from amazon. I installed it and now it appears it is always on the HI/Brights setting. If I switch back and forth the other one goes from low to but the one I installed is always on hi. Did I not install it right? Maybe I did not get it seating correctly?
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    that happened to me two from an bulb I purchased from Amazon. I purchased two and one of them did the same thing. I sent it back and got another one and that one worked fine.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The HID type lamps have a small mirror that moves when going from high to low, which deflects the light up or down. There is no second filament in the HID bulb. Is the mirror not moving now? If the bulb is coming on by being seated all the way into the socket, it should not be able to interfere with the movement of that mirror.

4. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with NH7O. The lamp is probably a bit crooked and physically preventing the little drop down mirror thing from dropping down.